UKC

Weird skin mole / lesion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 18 Jan 2024

So about a year ago I noticed a odd piece of skin on my side.  Probably about the size / shape of the flat side of half a peanut (so about 1cm+ long, hope that's a good description).

Seemed barely noticeable, only just a shade darker than the skin around it.  Not raised or anything.

Changed colour to a dark brown over the past year, hasn't actually changed size, but it's raised slightly and the texture has changed.  

Doesn't hurt, no numbness around it, no bleeding.  But over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a very infrequent itch.

Booked an appointment for the docs.  Soonest they've got is wednesday

I know it's stupid, I should have got it looked at much sooner, but inertia, laziness, avoidance etc.  And the stupid Northern bloke attitude of not seeking medical attention until you've lost at least three limbs is to blame.

What's the diagnosis UKC? (No history of skin cancer in my family that I know of, and I avoid the sun light a vampire).

In reply to ThunderCat:

One thing that is usually done is take photos over time, with something like a ruler to show scale in the photo.

Photos are a good way to show any changes in colour, size, shape, etc. If you already have any photos of that area, you should take them to the Doctor when you go as they can help. If you don’t, it is not too late to take a photo now, so do that.

Hope all goes well.

OP ThunderCat 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Yeah, took a pic this morning with a ruler beside it and emailed it across.

It is what it is, not really stressed about it...It's just been filed in the "ffs, it's rubbish getting old" draw.

I'm guessing there'll be a referral a few weeks away, then maybe a biopsy, then a few weeks wait for the result.

Wimlands 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

Sounds fine to me….as I’ve got older I’ve picked up a few “moles” or blemishes.

Got checked out for one that appeared out of nowhere couple of years back and the Skin Doctor dismissed it as harmless within seconds of seeing it.

mostlyrambling 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

I had something that sounds very similar to yours develop on my shoulder around 10 years ago. I do have a history of skin cancer in my family so I did get it checked out and it turned out to be just one of those things that "comes along with growing older" (the doctor said apologetically) and totally benign.

Definitely essential to get these changes investigated - whether there's a family history or you're a sun-worshipper or not - but there are lots of harmless causes of these things too, so try not to worry too much while it's being looked into.

Hope all works out well.

Post edited at 12:39
 magma 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

seborrheic keratosis?

Lankyman 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I know it's stupid, I should have got it looked at much sooner, but inertia, laziness, avoidance etc.  And the stupid Northern bloke attitude of not seeking medical attention until you've lost at least three limbs is to blame.

You know in that film with Sigourney Weaver and John Hurt .... ?

Seriously, though, I have a similar attitude to visiting the quack as yourself. I've just called in to get some symptoms checked out that I've had for weeks. I rang this morning and got seen by the duty doc half an hour later - Big, massive 'Hurrah' for our NHS!! After a brief probing round the rear entry by the duty doc (ooer, missus!) and some other quick tests it doesn't sound so serious as I thought earlier. These things do seem to come along more often as you get older and it's as well to bear in mind that taking action now will potentially save a lot more fuss and bother later on. Good luck with the alien ... I mean, mole!

owlart 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I'm guessing there'll be a referral a few weeks away, then maybe a biopsy, then a few weeks wait for the result.

When I had a freckle on my face start to change size, itch & scab over I went to the GP who looked at it under a magnifying glass, declared it was nothing to worry about and made me feel like I'd wasted his time by going! It later crusted over and fell off (the freckle, not my face!).

stubbed 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

I think it'll be one of those sebhoric wart things, my husband gets them. Honestly don't worry

Sealwife 18 Jan 2024
In reply to owlart:

Same here - I’ve been to GP twice (not recently) with weird moles which were doing all the things it’s suggested you get it checked out - growing, evolving, changing colour, not symmetrical, rough edges.  Was treated like I was wasting their time.   Currently have another strange one on my belly - Dr google suggests one of those sebborheic keratosis things mentioned above, so I’ll not bother the surgery again.

elsewhere 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

I've had better luck with NHS and a blemish to my beauty. The GP was pretty sure it was nothing but sent me for an outpatient appointment where registrar(?) and then consultant said it was nothing. None of them made me feel I was wasting their time.

PJ2398 18 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

Another vote for a sebhorreic keratosis. I’ve had a few that look just like you describe and they are nothing to worry about. Worth getting it checked though for your peace of mind. Assuming it is one, the Dr will tell you in seconds, no waiting for tests/results etc.

OP ThunderCat 24 Jan 2024
In reply to PJ2398:

All clear. Normal for my age, nothing to worry, benign... (wipes brow). 

DamonRoberts 24 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

Worth checking though. A colleague (not an old one either, mid 30s I think) had a similar thing, was told it was cancerous and was zipped through the process to get it sliced out before it grew, done start to end in a month or so. Better safe than sorry.

ScraggyGoat 24 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

NHS online advice is to immeadiately seek a GP appointment upon changes to moles ect. The fact that you are getting an appointment almost within a week in this day and age, particularly when your daily life isn’t impacted at all indicates your GP feels it’s worth checking; even if statistically it’s probably harmless.

profitofdoom 25 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

> All clear. Normal for my age, nothing to worry, benign... (wipes brow). 

Brilliant news. Thanks for posting 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...