UKC

Help me find a passage of writing that I can't remember much about...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 23 Jan 2024

Years ago, when I lived in Glasgow we used to drink in Babbity Bowsters in the Merchant City. Beside the bar was a framed passage of writing about a man who liked sitting in a quiet pub when it first opened for the day, he compared it to being in a church or cathedral. I can't remember any more about it other than a vague memory that it was by a fairly well known author.

My google-fu has let me down on this one, does it ring any bells with anyone? My googling turned up a passage by Raymond Chandler but it's not that.

Thanks.

TechnoJim 23 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Could be 'Last Orders' by Graham Swift. I read it a while back but that's ringing a bell.

Post edited at 21:57
OP DaveHK 23 Jan 2024
In reply to TechnoJim:

I've actually just read that! It does sound like the sort of passage that might be in that but I don't remember it.

Thanks, I'll dig it out and have a look.

Post edited at 22:04
OP DaveHK 23 Jan 2024
In reply to TechnoJim:

So you're right in that there's a passage in Last Orders that sounds a lot like I described. However, I don't think it's the one I am looking for. Well remembered anyway!

TechnoJim 23 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

No worries. I remember not enjoying it that much, surprised any of it stuck. Good luck with the hunt.

wintertree 23 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Puts me in mind of the scene early in Robert Rankin’s “The Antipope” when Neville – the part-time barman opens the Flying Swann. I don’t recall it being likened to a cathedral but it had a similar reverence to the events.

nastyned 23 Jan 2024
In reply to wintertree:

Mine's a pint of Large. 

Tony Buckley 23 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

If they're still going, you could ring them and ask if anyone there remembers it and can help.

Calling them just after they open would be appropriate, given what you're after.

T.

OP DaveHK 23 Jan 2024
In reply to Tony Buckley:

> If they're still going, you could ring them and ask if anyone there remembers it and can help.

> Calling them just after they open would be appropriate, given what you're after.

> T.

Good idea but it's changed hands and the decor has changed. There are a few Glasgow FB pages so might try asking on one of then.

mountainbagger 23 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

If you Google the pub name and look at the images, there's some with a framed bit of text on the left end of the bar. Is that what you're looking for?

Zooming in on a few I can't read it but maybe somewhere there's a better photo?

OP DaveHK 23 Jan 2024
In reply to mountainbagger:

I've already done exactly that but none are high enough resolution to read. It's good to know that I didn't imagine it though!

Post edited at 23:06
OP DaveHK 25 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

I've asked about this on an 'Old Glasgow Pubs' FB group so we'll see if that turns anything up.

OP DaveHK 26 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Turns out it's from 'The Boy Who Wanted Peace' by George Friel. Someone on the FB group got in touch with the former owner of the pub!

Fraser 26 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Oh cheers Dave, there goes my excuse to pop in after work today and do some research for you!

OP DaveHK 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Fraser:

Ha ha. Its gone now anyway I think but don't let that stop you.

It was a cool pub but its part of a chain now.

Post edited at 15:41
 yorkshireman 26 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

For fun I tried asking ChatGPT (basically pasted in your first paragraph) and got 

The passage you're referring to is likely from "A Drunk Man Looks at the Thistle" by Hugh MacDiarmid. It's a Scottish poem where the narrator expresses his thoughts on life, society, and personal experiences, often in a stream-of-consciousness style. The comparison of a quiet pub to a church or cathedral might evoke a sense of reverence for the contemplative moments in such places.

rogerhill12 26 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Well Babity Bowsters had a bit from "The boy who wanted peace".  Have a look but that was in the late 80's showing my age.

OP DaveHK 26 Jan 2024
In reply to rogerhill12:

> Well Babity Bowsters had a bit from "The boy who wanted peace".  Have a look but that was in the late 80's showing my age.

Thanks. Someone on the FB page beat you to it. They messaged Fraser, the old owner. See the post above.

Fraser 26 Jan 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> Ha ha. Its gone now anyway I think but don't let that stop you.

> It was a cool pub but its part of a chain now.

Didn't know that. Too bad and as you said, it was good in its day.

OP DaveHK 26 Jan 2024
In reply to rogerhill12:

> Well Babity Bowsters had a bit from "The boy who wanted peace".  Have a look but that was in the late 80's showing my age.

And I should  have said, well remembered!

Jamie Hageman 06 Feb 2024
In reply to Fraser:

They have a gypsy jazz music session there once a month which I'm desperate to get along to.  Anywhere that hosts a bit of Django Reinhardt is pretty good in my books.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...