UKC

Girona cycling advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark burley 24 Jan 2024

Hi. A bit random maybe, I’m thinking of heading to Girona independently for a few days in September.

All the google links I see are fully supported inclusive holidays. I prefer a little bit of freedom but I’d like to do a “group” ride or 2. Road specifically. 

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of guided rides in the area without having to buy the full package? 

abr1966 24 Jan 2024
In reply to mark burley:

I can't comment on Girona but having looked at various options and costs for a trip to Spain last spring my mate and I booked a Jet2 holiday and hired bikes....it was a lot cheaper than any other options. In the end my mate was injured so I went alone....when I went to get the bike the guys in the shop hooked me up with some local cyclists who I joined for a couple of rides.....I got the coffee's in on the first ride and I was their guest on the second. It was a great experience....maybe if you are hiring a bike you could ask when you get there or see if there are any clubs etc....half of the guys I rode with were non Spanish......good luck, Girona looks a great place to ride...

jethro kiernan 24 Jan 2024
In reply to abr1966:

I was in girona this autumn on a non riding family holiday, I did have a quick recce and a few bike shops/coffee shops seem to have group rides of various levels.

OP mark burley 24 Jan 2024

In reply to

Thanks, LBA is minutes away for me and Jet2 is our go to and usually a holiday is the best value but this time I’m planning to fly into and out of different airports to get the dates I want, 

Good advice about local shops, I’m thinking to take my own bike but they might be another resource and I’ll inevitably need some mechanical support. Between 3 of us in Majorca last year in 4 days we got 5 punctures we were constantly in for new tubes. 

Thanks aqain. 

Robbo1 25 Jan 2024
In reply to mark burley:

Through work, we organised a day cycling with https://lafuga.cc/. They were really good and responsive on email. Suspect they are pricey though. If you find them on strava you can probably get some good ideas for routes in advance, hire the bike from them and then just have their number (or a local taxi number) in case things go wrong.

Uluru 25 Jan 2024
In reply to mark burley:

Have a look at The Service Course Girona, they are on Facebook and last year did regular rides from April to October

RedFive 26 Jan 2024
In reply to mark burley:

I follow this Youtube channel and she is based in Girona so lots of videos about the local area. Looks like a great place to ride!

https://www.youtube.com/@clippedinandfree

youtube.com/watch?v=sd7CP5o2krc& (Girona coast loop)

In reply to RedFive:

yeah - we all follow clippedinandfree for the shots of the local area

RedFive 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

OP mark burley 29 Jan 2024
In reply to RedFive:

Thanks that was a nice bit of escapism for a cold and wet Monday in January. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...