UKC

Glueing rand rubber to rand rubber.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon 12 Feb 2024

A friend has given me a brand new pair of Scarpa Quantix that were too small for him. Unfortunately in his efforts to get his hoof into the left one, he cut down half way through the rand with a cutter to facilitate this. See photo. Clearly this will continue to split downwards over time so I'd like to glue a length of rand rubber over the cut. My local resolers say it won't hold... but the ShoeDoctor in Slovenia has successfully done this for me on a pair of shoes where the rand has just split naturally. Clearly it'd be excessive to send one shoe to Slovenia.

Has anyone any idea on what glue might do the trick ? Does that vulcanizing stuff they use for punctured tyres work on this sort of rubber ??

Thanks.

smally 12 Feb 2024
In reply to jon:

I've done a similar repair using Renia Klebfest, with good results.

It's a contact adhesive used for shoe repair and you can pick up 30g or 60g tubes easily on ebay. 

I made sure there was plenty of overlap with the patch and had it wrapping around the whole heel rand. Usual clean surfaces and apply to both faces, allow to dry for 5 to 10mins then fix on with a good amount of pressure.

OP jon 12 Feb 2024
In reply to smally:

Thanks, I'll have a look for that. Did you have to put some sort of form into the shoe to be able to apply pressure ?

riverz 12 Feb 2024
In reply to jon:

It might be worth drilling a hole at the crack tip to reduce the stress there and prevent crack propagation.

smally 12 Feb 2024
In reply to jon:

Forgot to mention that . Aye, I just stuck a round section piece of wood into the shoe so I could hammer the patch.

OP jon 12 Feb 2024
In reply to riverz:

Good thinking.

OP jon 13 Feb 2024
In reply to smally:

And lastly where did you get the rand rubber from ? I was thinking of getting some off some old shoes, but it doesn't look as easy as that !

smally 13 Feb 2024
In reply to jon:

I dismantled a pair of old shoes. Quite easily done with a paint stripping/hot air gun.

Just give the old shoes a good blast of heat on the area you want to strip and the rubber should start to unglue. Peel away, heating as required. Possibly you could use a hairdryer or even pop the shoes in the oven!

Once you have a good length of rand, sand off any leather and old glue and clean it before glueing. If you have a bench grinder with a sanding or carborundum wheel, that's ideal and you can also feather the edges of the patch.

The heat gun has worked on a few brands of shoes ,bar one pair of Boreals that just didn't want to give in.

OP jon 13 Feb 2024
In reply to smally:

Brill, thanks !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...