UKC

Date my Friend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chiroshi 14 Feb 2024

Maybe a slightly misleading title given the day, but I just picked this up Friend on a local market place.

From what I’ve read, machine nuts were only ever used on the very first version. Is there anyone here who might be able to confirm an approximate manufacture date for this? 

Post edited at 18:05

FactorXXX 14 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

Think it's a titanium model and from the mid-eighties.

pasbury 14 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

I think the early size half ones were called technical friends?

I got my first few in about 1986/7 and they had lock nuts. I had the impression that they weren't the very first version though.

There will be far more authoritative people on here....

DaveHK 14 Feb 2024
In reply to pasbury:

> I think the early size half ones were called technical friends?

I thought Technical Friends were the flexible stem ones?

OP chiroshi 14 Feb 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

I think you might be right there. It’s non magnetic and does have a certain Ti sheen to it. Can’t find much information about the Ti ones online.

beardy mike 14 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

Not long ago we were talking about these and people were talking about exploding units - aluminium and titanium don't play nicely together because they're far apart on the galvanic corrosion scale. 

They're definitely not Technical friends which were the second fully flexible units. Prior to that there were Flexible Friends which had no plastic covering the stem.

Not sure what these were called.

Dave Cundy 14 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

I bought my first three Friends in 1986 and they looked like your picture.  Machine nuts to hold the cams in place.  Easy to take apart and clean, after they'd been for a dip on a Lundy trip.  A bit of 'wet and dry' cleaned rust off the shaft nicely.  I  only retired my 1 1/2 Friend a few years ago because one on my pals kept moaning about it.

Rick Graham 14 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

> Not sure what these were called.

Like it says on the tin (stem). Friend half.

Came out early 86 iirc, the flex half and other sizes superceded them  a few months later.

Pedro50 14 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

Interesting. I've got two similar friends 3/4 and 1/2 handmade by HB in Australia before WC made smaller sizes. Martin Wragg who gave legal advice to WC told me that there was no issue as WC hadn't considered it worthwhile to protect their patent in Australia. They are beautifully made with a knurling on the end of the stem so that your thumb doesn't slip off. I carried them for years and one eventually stopped me when I fell off the top of Calvary. I'm pretty sure they're titanium. Available for sale to connoisseurs of historic gear.

Post edited at 22:16
 beardy mike 14 Feb 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

That doesn't make sense. HB were based in Bangor North Wales. RP was based in Australia but I've never heard of him making cams...

Pedro50 14 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

> That doesn't make sense. HB were based in Bangor North Wales. RP was based in Australia but I've never heard of him making cams...

I think it was Horsham Bruce, they're stamped HB and a friend in Australia sent them to me. 

Ridge 14 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

> Not sure what these were called.

Forged friends?

Ian Parsons 14 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

> That doesn't make sense. HB were based in Bangor North Wales. RP was based in Australia but I've never heard of him making cams...

As Pedro says: in this instance HB is 'Horsham Bruce', aka Malcolm Matheson - well-known Arapiles hardman.

elsewhere 15 Feb 2024

Titanium looks more like stainless steel, they look like aluminium. Based on my extremely limited experience of anything titanium.

beardy mike 15 Feb 2024
In reply to Ridge:

Those came later and the stem was forged and anodised dark grey.

beardy mike 15 Feb 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Ahhh interesting! Off to do some research!

Edit.

Wow those really ARE similar!

Post edited at 07:26

OP chiroshi 15 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

Thanks for all the replies. I am now fairly sure it is a titanium one. It looks very similar to this picture from a Needlesports article: https://www.needlesports.com/Information/Features/Nuts-Museum/Clockwork-Fri...

This post from Nuts Museum suggests it might be the 2nd version with the thinner stem: https://www.instagram.com/p/C21q4Nntteq

CantClimbTom 15 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

I had exactly the same in size 2, but I found it jammed deep in a crack so no idea when it was made. A mate of mine swapped it for something (a slightly tatty bivvy bag I think?) So left my possession 

Dunthemall 17 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

Sell it. There is an advert for $180 for a Ti 0.5 Friend on ebay!

Darkinbad 17 Feb 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

> when I fell off the top of Calvary.

Now there's a phrase you don't read every day. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...