UKC

Does anyone recognise this cam from the ‘80s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anyone recognise this cam? I couldn’t tell you where I got it from, but it was definitely early/mid ‘80s. Really works well in little sketchy grit overlaps and still in my gear bag after all this time. 

john arran 14 Feb 2024
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Metolius TCU?

wbo2 14 Feb 2024

I'll compare - I have a couple I bought from Alan Watts in the late 80's I guess.  But I think so

In reply to john arran:

just had a look with my reading glasses 😩certainly looks like a C and a U is there. Maybe I bought it off someone in The Byron one night. Certainly didn’t get it from a shop. 

gethin_allen 14 Feb 2024

A little hunting suggests this is a cam from a company called ABC- Advanced Base Camp.

This Mountain Project forum thread has some info including a photo of an old ad

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/106843012/question-about-a-cam-...

Martin Bennett 14 Feb 2024

Not a Metolius TCU - I had those in that era and the trigger bar had a round cross section, maybe it was knurled too (?), rather than the angled section yours has.

Ian Parsons 14 Feb 2024

As Gethin points out, the logo is actually ABC - ie Advanced Base Camp/Liberty. https://libertymountain.com/climb.html?cat=238 in Utah still appear to own the brand but it now only includes a handful of software items. In the 1980s there was a range of ABC hardware - most of it, I think, manufactured outside the US.

Post edited at 22:28
In reply to gethin_allen:

Yes, that’s the one. It has smooth cam lobes which someone comments on in your link. It’s been a really useful little cam.

I really have no idea where I got it from now. Often various people like Andy Pollitt would sell stuff they picked up cheap on trips, but that was usually eastern European. I’m pretty sure I never saw one somewhere like REI or smaller stores when I was on trips in the States. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...