UKC

Large capacity rucksack recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Connor Nunns 16 Feb 2024

I'm looking for an expedition rucksack suitable for self sufficient camping and climbing trips for up to a week. I've previously used an 85 litre rucksack which wasn't up to the task, I had to have my helmet and shoes on the outside of the rucksack, and the seams started to split from the load.

I think something with around a 100 litre capacity would be suitable, and so far I've looked at the Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 100-120. Has anyone got any others of that sort of size that they've used and would recommend?

Post edited at 10:52
 L.A. 16 Feb 2024
In reply to Connor Nunns:

Havent personally used one and only 90ltr (!!) but a bit of a bargain on Sportspursuit at £120 just now Both sizes available

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/3535166

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/large/osprey_mutant_nimsdai_90-15...

OP Connor Nunns 16 Feb 2024
In reply to L.A.:

Looks ideal cheers and much better price wise than I was budgeting for. The external rope and helmet carrying systems it has look like they should help any size issues on particularly loaded trips.

Toerag 16 Feb 2024

I've a Cerro torre 65-85 and a set of Aiguille Alpine strap-on pockets which I used for an unsupported 9 day trek in Norway.  I didn't use the built-in side pockets, just the Aiguille ones. It almost certainly makes more sense to go with a sensibly-sized pack you can use more often plus pockets. The AA ones are 12 or 17litres per pair depending on size.  If you're going big (100l or so), then you're probably best looking at army surplus 'bergens'. Berghaus Cyclops?

Post edited at 16:50
 Neil Williams 16 Feb 2024

I've got a Mountain Hardwear BMG 105.  It's not got much of a back system (so is more designed as a travel pack) but I find it comfortable enough and have carried it with 27kg in on an expedition.  One key advantage of it is that it's wide rather than tall so you don't keep banging the top on stuff.

Haven't seen it on sale recently but you might pick up a used one.

I've not seen anything bigger than that bar the Lowe one you mention and an army bergen.

Post edited at 20:58
 Tim A 17 Feb 2024

I have the osprey aether plus 85 they do it in a 100l as well and it is good and comfortable someone I know has the cerro torre and find that good.

Post edited at 09:55
 Will Oliver 17 Feb 2024

Crux do an 80L expedition pack and they seem to come up huge, my AK47 will happily fit camping and climbing kit for a weekend

shuffle 17 Feb 2024

I have a couple of Gregory packs that carry really well with a heavy load. They're often available at a decent price at sports shoes.com

OP Connor Nunns 17 Feb 2024

Thanks for the replies, I've settled on the Osprey Nimsdai 90 since I can't pass up a bargain. It looks suitable and not too heavy if I'm taking less than its full capacity.

Damo 20 Feb 2024

They're heavily discounted all over the world, from what I've seen. Half-price here in Australia. Maybe just not a popular size in today's market.

They don't look to hold 90 litres, but it's sometimes hard to say. They're meant to carry a high volume but not-heavy weight, - tent, big sleeping bag, high-altitude down clothing etc - relatively short periods of time. Osprey makes other packs for bigger loads and longer trips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...