UKC

Bouldering/climbing wall, Keswick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marktrik 25 Feb 2024

I'm off to Keswick for a week in a couple of weeks.

Just need some advice on any indoor bouldering walls close by that I can visit just in case the weather plays up, oh and I can't go a week without climbing....

Thanks.

In reply to marktrik:

Kong in the town centre, ok bouldering wall, better lead/auto belay wall and 2 good boards.

If you fancy a day out, eden rock in Carlisle for bouldering or Kendal wall for climbing. Kendal Wall is arguably the best sport crag in the lakes.

OP marktrik 25 Feb 2024
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

Probably looking for a quick fix, bouldering session so Kong will probably do, close by and a bouldering wall.

Just wanted to know if its with a visit, wasn't to sure judging by the pics/Web site.

In reply to marktrik:

Yes, it is worth it, if only for the blue board, which is excellent. 

Personally, I would find it hard to fill a day there but it is good for a half day or evening.

OP marktrik 25 Feb 2024

Ye ibwas looking for a few hour session so should be good.

Blue board.... what's that ? A training board. ?

In reply to marktrik:

One of those electric board thingies, painted blue.

OP marktrik 25 Feb 2024

Ok, thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll pop in 👍

petegunn 25 Feb 2024
In reply to marktrik:

Slight bias but if you have several hours or an afternoon free I would defo go to Eden Rock in Carlisle as it's a dedicated bouldering centre. 35mins from keswick.

Kong is ok but it's just one small room, the leading is much better if you can find a partner.

Post edited at 20:41

tmawer 25 Feb 2024
In reply to marktrik:

Quite a number of autobelays at Kong, and would agree with others that the bouldering isn't very inspiring but combined with lead and the autobelays you should have a decent session. 

OP marktrik 25 Feb 2024
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks for the advice and it looks really good.

Probably stick with Kong on this occasion as its easy snd on my door step. However.... I'm a bugger for changing my mind and Eden looks very tempting. 

In reply to marktrik:

It’s 40 mins drive to Eden Rock from Keswick and well worth the drive. Great setting, good sized wall, woodies, big circuit board etc.

If you’re lucky they might have the new extension to the bouldering at Kendal climbing wall which is due to open in March. Check on Facebook. The existing bouldering at Kendal is already ok

johnlc 26 Feb 2024
In reply to marktrik:

There is actually the Keswick Climbing Wall as well:

https://www.activity-centre.com/keswick-climbing-wall/

It is not very large but it has a bouldering area and top rope areas.  If your favourite climbing is gritstone / sandstone outcrops, the top rope areas are fine.  If you are more accustomed to loftier things then you may find the routes to be a bit of a one-move wonder.  Run by a friendly bunch.

It is about 15 minutes by car from Keswick, in the middle of nowhere.  Its cold so take a coat.

OP marktrik 06 Mar 2024

I went yesterday, sadly there were resetting part of the bouldering area but I found that electric blue board with lights on.... yep that is fun. They have a similar thing at my regular climbing wall, bur this one has so neny more varied problems on it.

I'm tempted to go again before I leave for home.

In reply to marktrik:

The new bouldering at Kendal Wall opens today in a separate building. Might be worth a look if you’re passing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...