UKC

Pulley Injury (advice and grade of injury)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lyndon alcock 29 Feb 2024

Hi, I've been suffering from a pulley injury ever since I went to dumbarton rock approximately 2-3 months ago and I have been trying to ease myself back into climbing but I am unsure of the grade of injury. I believe it must be the A2 or A3 pulley, i'm finding it hard to pinpoint the pain but taping has been most effective over the PIP joint. I have been able to lightly climb ever since the injury was 4 weeks old which makes me think it is a Grade ii injury however when the injury occurred there was a loud crack sound audible for my climbing partner which would appear to indicate something more severe like Grade iii. Should i have seeked medical assistance what should I be doing to aid in the recovery process. I really wanna get back to projecting ~7a but I am currently struggling to climb even 6a

DamonRoberts 29 Feb 2024
In reply to lyndon alcock:

When I did that (two loud pops, definitely grade 3), the advice I got is surgery is only worthwhile if done very soon after (a few days) from the guy who looks after the TeamGB climbers. NHS was useless, so I DIY'd a splint using a Frog finger splint along the back of my finger, with the wings cut off and tape to put pressure on the pulley areas, leaving sides of the finger open for bloodflow. I eventually got a pulley ring moulded by the NHS but by the time that happened it wasn't particularly useful anymore.

Mine took ages to heal and regain strength, probably 3-6 months with a few instances of twinging it doing day to day things and attempting to climb on it too soon. Then it was a few months of light stuff (I mainly boulder so struggle with that). I was using Leukotape rigid strapping tape for over a year, it blows climbing tape out the water but is £££ and hard to remove. Sounds like you're at this stage. I made a conscious effort to open and close my fist throughout the day and built up slowly. Warming up slowly became very important too, or it'd ache in the future. Use it as an opportunity to do pull-ups on rounded jugs, and practice open hand crimping and climbing statically. 

My finger is now back to as strong as before, but doesn't straighten up fully. Not sure why this is, it's probably scar tissue. I've got a sprung Rolyan PIP splint which seems to help temporarily when used, as does massage but I am not good at sticking to using it! 

Post edited at 14:56
OP lyndon alcock 01 Mar 2024
In reply to DamonRoberts:

Hey thanks, your experience is really helpful, I feel like my injury must be at the stage where you were using leukotape as you said and I feel like It helps just  to hear that you got back to as strong as before, for me it often feels  like ill never be strong again. I feel so low recently because of the injury seems so permanent , but if your experience is anything to go by maybe I'll be back to climbing in time for my graduation  so maybe I'll just focus on studies and winter climbing in the meantime.

Matt Alexander 01 Mar 2024

When I had a grade 2 I was advised 45 days of no climbing (or pull ups/ heavy weights etc) while having it splinted in a pulley splint (Google pulley splint).  Then very slowly build up.  Probably took 6 months to work up to hard climbing.  And even now I occasionally have a bad day if I haven’t warmed up properly.

It isn’t too late to see a climbing physio if the option is available to you. There are quite a few books and good websites too (climbingdoctor.com springs to mind).

Usual caveat regarding me not being a medical professional etc!

Good luck!

Tigh 04 Mar 2024

Lots of good advice on pulley injuries on this account. 

https://www.instagram.com/theclimbingphysio?igsh=dzIxNW1uZGNhamNl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...