UKC

REVIEW: Salewa Ortles Hybrid Tirolwool Responsive Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 19 Mar 2024

Featuring an unusual blend of wool and polyester, this light-midweight jacket balances warmth with breathability to offer a really versatile wear-all-day insulating layer that's ideal for Scottish winter, says John McKenna.    

Read more

James123 19 Mar 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Looks a nice piece and great detailed review as always. However, I still think you can't beat Rab VR, Marmot driclime (or windshirt over a baselayer/fleece combo) for most of the year use in the UK, even though its 'old school' compared to the new active insulation, zoned/mapped insulation, that said I do have a patagonia nano air which I like but tend to use it more for casual use or warm up/cool downs when running than a hill piece. 

climber34neil 19 Mar 2024
In reply to James123:

I have the salewa , it's great, put it on over a base layer and forget about it , used it all year round and also on euro ice, can't recommend it enough,  providing the fit suits you 

In reply to James123:

Hi James,

I imagine a lot of people will find a lot of use with that sort of combo, it might be old school but it does work. I imagine I'd not layer with that when on cold days in winter in the hills or going winter climbing. Although as always everyone finds what works for them.

For Winter in the UK as calimber34neil says the great thing about the Salewa is just chuck it on and forget about it all day, you may need to layer over at some point if stopped for lunch or needing a hardshell over when climbing. But it's provided a really great regulation for full day use. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...