UKC

Leaking Boot Repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pad01 22 Mar 2024

Anyone had much luck in getting a leaking boot repaired?

got a pair of Hanwag Makra Combi and one boot is leaking at some point behind the toes, not exactly sure where. 
3 years old but still in good condition, but well past the warranty. 
Didn’t buy direct from Hanwag, contacted them and they have directed me to LSR who’s website says they can’t guarantee they can fix a leaking boot. 
Did see some people had the same issue in the past with this boot, mine started leaking just after the warranty expired. Would much rather get it repaired than buy new boots as it’s a great fit, lightweight, works well for me and still have plenty of life in them in terms of wear, but don’t want to go through the whole process (which might take 14 weeks!!!) to get it back and still leak. 

Guy Hurst 22 Mar 2024
In reply to pad01:

Fill the leaking boot with water then see where it comes out. Apply Shoo Goo to the area in question and that'll probably do the job, at least for a while.

I'm not convinced any repair firm could guarantee to get a better result.

Post edited at 18:10
 CantClimbTom 22 Mar 2024
In reply to pad01:

Sorry to be gloomy, despite the fact that they're a quality manufacturer, this is the Achilles heel of modern fabric boots

OP pad01 22 Mar 2024
In reply to Guy Hurst:

might be my best option if a repair isn’t doable

OP pad01 22 Mar 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

It was one of my concerns around fabric boots when trying to decide what to buy at the time. My Scarpa SLs lasted nearly 3 times longer. 
probably return to good old leather next time round. 

olddirtydoggy 23 Mar 2024
In reply to pad01:

These boots are probably the most comfortable, light B2's I've ever worn and great for scrambling. They are also the fastest wearing sole and the most useless GTX linings I've ever had. Not fit for purpose unless you are happy to accept wet feet very soon after buying them. I got a replacement pair within guarantee and they lasted 3 days out before failing.

OP pad01 23 Mar 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I think you may have been one of the people who originally commented when I asked about these 3 years ago, I thought you were unlucky and got a dodgy boot, looks like it’s a manufacturing fault / quality issue as since I’ve purchased them and had this issue I’ve seen others saying the same thing.

i agree about how comfortable they are and suited to scrambling and one of the reasons I wanted to repair them instead of buying new boots. 
Was very disappointed with the response from Hanwag and how quickly they have failed. Probably worn them no more than 20 times since purchase and covered no more than 400k in them, would expect a boot of this level to last longer, my Scarpa SL’s have. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...