UKC

REVIEW: Mountain Equipment Earthrise Jacket - Down Needn't Cost The Earth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 26 Mar 2024

Lightweight down jackets are ubiquitous these days, so one way to stand out in this crowded market is to offer a more sustainable product. The Earthrise Hooded Jacket successfully combines environmentally conscious materials with mountain-ready performance. You get a lot for your money too, says Tim Hill.

Read more

johnlc 26 Mar 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

A general question.

Does anybody know much about the quality or characteristics of the recycled (ie second hand) down in garments like this one?  Presumably the down has already undergone a period of successive compressions and expansions in its former garment.  I genuinely do not know whether the down, once sorted and regraded will last pretty much indefinitely or whether you are buying a jacket with a shortened lifespan.  If it is the latter, then a shortened lifespan makes the jacket poorer value for money and has an increased environmental impact.  I am currently very wary of putting my hand in my pocket for an item containing recycled down.

Andypeak 26 Mar 2024
In reply to johnlc:

I'm not expert but given that old school down products that weren't made of u"lightweight" fabrics would last 30 years+ my guess is that the down will far outlast the fabric that it is contained in. Hope that makes sense 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...