UKC

Compact Ready Reading Glasses

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 afx22 27 Mar 2024

As I’ve aged, my eyesight is no longer perfect and I’m finding I need reading glasses more and more (reading maps, guidebooks, stealing beta from Instagram and so on).

I’ve seen folding ones and flat ones but have no idea which are most functional / decent value.

Can anyone recommend any compact ready readers, suitable for stuffing in rucksacks and so on?

john arran 27 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

I had a pair of flat reading glasses in a very slim (not much more than 5mm) plastic case that I thought were perfect. Got them from a Poundshop or somewhere similar, for £3. I expected they would look odd when on, being so flat, but they looked much the same as any glasses.The format was ideal as they would fit in a pocket alongside anything else and seemingly not get in the way.

When they finally broke I've looked for a similar replacement but I'm not in the UK often and I can't find them in France or online, but once I do find them I'll buy several pairs.

JM2012 27 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

I got some from Amazon, slim, fit into smallish tube and cheap, so no dramas if you lose them.

Post edited at 20:46
 OwenM 27 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

Nooz.

In reply to afx22:

ThinOptics with keyring case. Thin, lighter weight, compact, easy folding mechanism to fit case, high quality optics, reasonably comfortable on nose. https://www.thinoptics.com/en-gb/products/readers-black-keychain-case?varia...40664563122210

Nooz rectangular. Fatter, robust looking, but poorer optics than above, not, for my nose, that comfortable for using as creates pressure points and the glasses angle alters easily with general use. https://www.thinoptics.com/en-gb/products/readers-black-keychain-case?varia...40664563122210

Both have survived unscathed for many years, but I find the ThinOptics far better for comfort and quality of optics. Appear fragile though, but mine still perfect after more than 6 or more years (forgotten how long I’ve had them). Mine also fit in a keyring case very easily and so very compact for general carrying.

I originally bought the Nooz for hillwalking etc. thinking they would be better being larger, more robust looking, and therefore not as easy to lose or damage. However, after very little use I decided weren’t that good (comfort, quality of optics) and so bought the ThinOptics. When I buy again, it will be the ThinOptic personally. Of course wind will take both pairs off your nose fairly easily so some care has to be taken.

Just my thoughts - as I said mine are old now, I can’t comment on quality/fit etc for current ones obviously.

Post edited at 08:34
 Spready 28 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

I was in the same boat!

I bought a couple of pairs of these..
They do the job!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QV7WTT7/?ref_=cm_wl_huc_item&th=1

oldie 28 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

Has to be moved around to read large area but my wife has thin cashcard sized magnifier which could be kept really handy in a guidebook etc.

When I had good close eyesight I had to read guidebook out and examine topos for my older German mate in the Alps who'd forgotten his reading glasses. Quite entertaining as l didn't know german. 

Now I carry cheap non-prescription glasses as others have recommended. The very cheapest from eg Poundstore seems now to be too breakable.

Jenny C 28 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

When husband experimented with contract lenses the optician recommended just using cheap magnifying glasses for map reading on the hill. Looks aren't important as you will only be wearing them briefly and you can even get them from places like Poundland - usually it's the case that takes up space not the glasses themselves. 

For home or prolonged use it's well worth getting proper prescription glasses.

OP afx22 28 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

Thanks everyone.  That’s been really helpful.

I’ve gone for the Jox ones, from Amazon.  I may try the Thin Optics ones if I want a second pair.  They look pretty funky!

Ps. I already have a few pairs of regular sized reading glasses both at home and at work.

Toerag 28 Mar 2024
In reply to afx22:

A friend has little pince-nez from https://glens.com/, I'm going to get some to try.

Post edited at 14:51
 Neil Williams 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

Someone I know got a set of what he referred to as electricians' glasses - wraparound eye protector type things but with a bit at the bottom with a magnification for reading a map, otherwise just clear.  He swears by them.

Don't quite need them yet myself but sadly getting close

Post edited at 14:53

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...