UKC

Best Mammut Kento GTX for Summer Mountaineering (Advanced vs Pro)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 huckleberry 06 Apr 2024

Hi All!

I am planning an alpine expedition for late June/early July in the Dauphiné region, 30/40 degrees, 3600m+. I am in need of some new mountaineering boots but I am struggling to choose between the Mammut Kento Advanced or Pro High GTX. 

Despite both being compatible with semi-automatic crampons, the Advanced is rated at B1 whilst the Pro at B2. I am assuming this difference is due to the flexibility of the boot. Because of this I am leaning more towards the Pro, but I am worried it might provide too much insulation for summer temperatures, being rated at -20 dCelsius. Then again I am not planning on stopping here, with ambitions to reach higher summits in the Alps. The Pro is also slightly heavier at an extra 165g per boot.

Does anyone have any experience with either boot? I'd be very happy to hear your opinions and thoughts on them. Or any other boots I should check out!

Thank you

TobyA 06 Apr 2024
In reply to huckleberry:

I think I'm going to review the Advanced for UKC soon but haven't even received the boots yet, let alone tried them out so sorry not much help.

I'd take the -20 with a pinch of salt though. In the dry you'll be fine in your trainers for a bit at that temp, but stand around belaying for any length of time in the snow, you need really warm boots to keep your feet warm.

OP huckleberry 07 Apr 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks! Looking forward to the review.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...