UKC

Software to use for drawing topos

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 PilkingtonD 13 Apr 2024

Hey all!

Wasn't quite sure which forum to put this in, but could anyone recommend me a free software for drawing dashed route lines on photos, and putting the little numbers at the bottom in guidebook style, on a windows laptop?

Best I've found so far is using Word but its a bit of a pain and tends to tank the picture quality!

Cheers!

Post edited at 15:35
 ianstevens 13 Apr 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

Inkscape (Illustrator Equivalent), or if you want to design a whole guide, Scribus is the free InDesign equivalnet 

Cog 13 Apr 2024
 Bellie 13 Apr 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

a simple way if you have already have Office is use Powerpoint.  Import your map image.  Select Shapes, then you can draw using curves, freehand or straight lines.  Use the line fill drop down to alter weight, type (dashes etc)

You can add little shapes for waypoints and drop in numbers easily.

Export out as PDF/JPEG etc.  You can change export quality in settings.

john arran 13 Apr 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

I use Gimp for drawing topo diagrams, overlaying lines and numbers onto a photo background, then put the doc together in Word and save as pdf. It wouldn't be ideal for commercial use, where a vector imaging program would be much better, but it works fine for the occacional use I need it for.

ianstevens 13 Apr 2024
In reply to john arran:

For publication you’d actually want to use a vector image editor followed by a publisher - the rich person (adobe) combo would be Illustrator and InDesign 

OP PilkingtonD 16 Apr 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

Brilliant, thank you everyone for the help!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...