UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: St Sunday Crag

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Norman Hadley 30 Apr 2024
With an instantly recognisable profile from the east, St Sunday Crag is an excellent orientation-marker in views. It also shows surprisingly well from the west, despite being on the “wrong” side of the Fairfield-Helvellyn watershed, due to its lofty height and the conveniently-placed window of Grisedale Hause. But it’s the shape from Ullswater that most commands attention, with that precipitous cat-slide northern slope from the summit to Grisedale, losing five hundred metres vertically in eight-hundred along. And it's not just pretty to look at but makes an excellent ascent into the bargain. This route throws in the bonus subsidiary summits of Birks and Arnison Crag, both of which offer superb views down to the lake.

5.72 miles, 9.20 km, 724m ascent, 2 – 3:30 hours. Windermere

Read more

C Witter 30 Apr 2024
In reply to Norman Hadley:

I think there are better routes to do here... The obvious one is up Birks, countour to Pinnacle Ridge and use that to access the summit. It's then great to take in Fairfield, with nice ridge walking. From there you can descend to Patterdale to the west via Grisedale Tarn, Dollywagon, Helvellyn and Striding Edge or to the east via Hart Crag. Otherwise, it's enjoyable to descend south to Ambleside, making a satisfying line across the fells.

plyometrics 30 Apr 2024
In reply to Norman Hadley:

It’s a belting fell that. 

OP Norman Hadley 30 Apr 2024
In reply to C Witter:

Yes, lots of enchainment possibilities. See also Dan's https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/index.php?i=1282 which you can easily stitch together into a Deepdale Round.

Pinnacle Ridge is a beauty, but it's short and takes a long traverse to reach the base. Plus I wanted to include the descent from Birks with That View ahead as the finale.

OP Norman Hadley 30 Apr 2024
In reply to plyometrics:

Yup, love it to bits.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...