/ UKC Travel Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Hyslop - UKC on 20 Apr 2004
[UKC Travel Insurance, 7 kb]
UKC Travel Insurance in association with Snowcard

  • Up to 50% cheaper than the alternatives
  • No membership requirements or extra subscriptions to pay
  • You will be dealing with a specialist company, founded in 1990, with an excellent reputation for customer service
  • Underwritten by Fortis, one of the worlds largest insurance companies

    Flexible to suit your needs

  • No need to double-insure risks, such as baggage already covered on your household insurance
  • Doesn't include ski insurance unless you want it
  • Premium is based on the exact duration of your trip and not fixed time periods

    Some Examples of Trips and Premiums

  • Bouldering and Sport Climbing in Europe for 7 days From £19
  • Annual multi trip - Rock Climbing Worldwide from From £89
  • Alpine Climbing in Chamonix for 2 weeks From £39
  • Annual multi trip - Climbing & Mountaineering activities up to 6500m worldwide From £105

    For more details follow this link http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/insurance.html
  • Chris Craggs - on 20 Apr 2004
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:
    I have used them for years - and really rate them. The only claim (a cancellation due to an accident) was dealt with very efficiently. The form is a bit of a battle though!!

    Andy Hyslop - UKC on 20 Apr 2004
    In reply to Chris Craggs:

    The new UKC entry page is more 'Climber Friendly' so if you follow the links from here you should find the forms easier to use in future.
    bhorisk on 20 Apr 2004 - 82-41-4-243.cable.ubr01.edin.blueyonder.co.uk
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    I made a rather large claim on snowcard a couple of years ago (helicopter rescue, nurse escorted flight back to the UK on a stretcher etc) and they were great. Everything was very efficient, and I didn't have to pay for anything up front.

    Highly recommended.

    sutty on 21 Apr 2004
    In reply to Chris Craggs:

    I found getting covered quite easy, it is sorting out the various permutations that takes care and time to sort out. Even with pre existing medical conditions they sorted it out in half a day.
    Not needed to claim off them so do not know what they are like there but have had good reports.
    Paul at work - on 21 Apr 2004
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    These replies are starting to sound like a television car insurance advert!

    Simon White on 21 Apr 2004 - whois?
    In reply to Paul at work:

    "Calm down dear! It's only a commercial!"

    M Winner
    Fiend - on 21 Apr 2004
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    Very good idea this, particularly now the Foundry travel one has disappeared. I might well be using it for trips.
    P'Nut - on 21 Apr 2004
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    Ah damn it just booked last night with BMC. Oh well, next time gadget.

    Wibble Wibble - on 22 Apr 2004
    In reply to P'Nut:

    Don't worry matey I compared a years world wide alpine mountaineering/trekking peak policy and it was only £14 cheaper than the BMC one, although that is 5% I guess. Always view the 'from' costs with caution.
    Jonathan Lagoe - UKC - on 22 Apr 2004
    In reply to Wibble Wibble:

    The saving depends entirely on what cover options you want. Snowcard gives you a lot of flexibility on what you want covered. BMC package more things together and in a different way - so you take your choice.

    I saved about £100+ on a worldwide annual mountaineering/trekking policy. I don't want possessions cover (obligatory on BMC last time I looked) and cancellation cover (ditto). I'm going to ski, but only for a week at the most.

    My possessions are already covered on my household insurance, I'm quite happy to risk cancellation on a cost/benefit analysis.

    What I really want from mountaineering insurance is to know that I will get carted off if I have an accident anywhere in the world, and have medical costs and repatriation covered in a bombproof way.

    That's what I've got for £112 a year with Snowcard. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like £214 plus membership costs on the BMC scheme.
    Wilbur - on 22 Apr 2004
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    have used it for this weekend...
    bernard milanovic on 29 Apr 2004 - CPE-144-137-145-198.qld.bigpond.net.au
    In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC: I havn't had a chance to use the snowcard insurance but i wasn't to impressed with the BMC offering. I got a years insurance for rockclimbing, then went off on a 6 month trip. Had my stuff stolen from the car in Italy, and they wouldn't pay because i had been out of the UK for longer than 90 days consecutively.

    It was in the fine print i guess, so i had to take it on the chin, but my travel partner who had joined me later on the trip was paid out (only 46 days.). You think that if you buy a years coverage you should be able to travel for that long. Just another story of insurance company trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities. I would be inclined to try a different company next time.
    O Mighty Tim on 30 Apr 2004 - []
    In reply to Simon White: I take it you've SEEN Sutty?
    He's Michael's younger brother...
    Conan - on 01 May 2004
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    It's just a pity they dont do high altitude cover.
    In reply to Conan:
    > (In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC)
    > It's just a pity they dont do high altitude cover.

    They do cover High Altitude Mountaineering. It is classed as level 6 insurance. Contact them directly for more details.


    Alan James
    RObert Wells on 06 May 2004 - manta.dialups.netsource.ie
    In reply to bernard milanovic:

    It is annoying as hell but it is the standard for year long travel insurance that individual trips cannot be more than a set period. It's no use now but 90 days is quite long compared to many companies.
    anonymous1 on 07 May 2004 - whois?
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    I've just rung snow card and for me ant girl friend the policy is a whopping £150 cheaper than the BMC and that includes my off shore sailing,horse riding,diving as well as climbing all over 't place 5 days a week.
    neil stewart on 13 May 2004 - modem-1879.zebra.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheB09a.cache.pol.co.uk]
    In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX:

    They may cover some high altitude mountaineering but they are very selective about it.

    We were refused cover for a month climbing in the cordillera blanca and huayhuash this august even at level 6 cover, on the grounds that we weren't necessarily doing well established routes on accessible peaks.
    steveP on 13 May 2004 -
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    Snowcard a bit spendier for two weeks in Yosemite than the BMC. Shop around folks.
    septic - on 03 Jun 2004
    In reply to neil stewart:
    > (In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX)

    > We were refused cover for a month climbing in the cordillera blanca and huayhuash this august even at level 6 cover, on the grounds that we weren't necessarily doing well established routes on accessible peaks.

    We were told Snowcard couldn't cover us either, for similar reasons - they don't deal with first ascents.

    We were referred to the BMC as our only option, who won't cover us for our chosen part of the world. We're having to get creative.
    kevin stephens - on 11 Jun 2004
    In reply to septic:

    I have found BMC very good, and was glad they included for posessions when the medics had to cut off my expensive gortex to get at my broken shoulder blade
    Jonathan Lagoe - UKC - on 11 Jun 2004
    In reply to kevin stephens:

    You can, of course, have your possessions covered under the UKC/Snowcard insurance as well.

    But if, like me, yours are already covered by household insurance, you don't have to..
    Coops on 18 Jun 2004 - whois?
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:

    I am taking a 2-week trip to Benasque in the Spanish Pyrenees this summer with plans to climb peaks in the Aneto – Maladeta, Posetts and Monte Perdido area (excuse spelling of names if wrong). My question is regarding Snowcard insurance. What insurance level would I need for what I see as high level trekking/walking to peaks such as Pico d’Aneto using the Voile Normal routes graded no higher than PD where the use of axe and crampons may be required? I looked at Snowcard’s website and High Level Trekking/glacier walking comes out at Level 3 (and gives an example of the Haute Route in the Alps). When I wanted this confirmed by someone at Snowcard they suggested, as I would be using axe and crampons I should take out insurance to Level 4, but this level looks more suited to Alpine Climbing/Mountaineering. The member of staff at the company said it was up to my discretion as to which level of insurance I choose, which I didn’t find to be that helpful. The way I see it, is if I take out an insurance I need confidence that I am covered for the activities I am going to undertake or otherwise I may as well not take any insurance at all. I would be most grateful if you could advise - Thanks
    Russell Dadson on 24 Jun 2004 - modem-2262.elk.dialup.pol.co.uk [webcacheB11a.cache.pol.co.uk]
    In reply to Coops: This is a common question often asked - we shouldn't suggest you leave things to your 'discretion' but rather that at the end of the day only you know exactly what you will be doing and you should take cover at the highest level your activity would be classed at. High level walking and mountaineering can often be so close that it is often difficult assessing which category to put it in. Generally, if you need to use ice axe, crampons, ropes, technical equipment for the assent and a generally uninterested person would call your assent mountaineering then take the higher cover, it is not much more in cost. If you classify yourself as a walker rather than a mountaineer and you take along safety equipment just in case (that is, it is not anticipated that technical equipment is necessary for the hike up a particular peak), then level 3 should be fine for high level walks. Short of having dozens of different categories, restricting the choice of policies to a usable number will always leave grey areas where risk categories meet but please call or email me if you need further guidance - Russell Dadson - Snowcard 01327 262805
    Andy Manthorpe on 24 Jun 2004
    In reply to Andy Hyslop - UKC:
    Have you seen the insurance offered by the Austrian Alpine Club British section ? Membership plus a years insurance this year cost me about 40 quid, and that includes a reciprocal rights card for hut discounts !


    This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.