UKC

Climber killed in N Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jonno 27 May 2004

Welsh news is reporting the death of a 21 year old student from Bangor Uni who died in a climbing accident on 'Cromlech Slabs'.
I must admit I've never heard of Cromlech slabs before.
As Llanberis MRT were called I presume it's the same Cromlech as the main crag and the boulders ?
 Ali 27 May 2004
In reply to Jonno: Anyone know who it was? Have a friend who climbs at bangor uni...
john H 27 May 2004
In reply to Jonno:

They wont give out name until the family allow it.
Simon Wilson 27 May 2004
In reply to Jonno:

Cromlech slabs are just down and left of Dinas cromlech. Not a brilliant climbing area but is ocassionally used for training by beginners. It can be a bit dodgy because it receives a lot of drainage and is better known for winter practise routes because of this.it actually provides nice little ice routes when it is really cold (which last happened about 9 years ago up the pass !)
andy say 27 May 2004
In reply to Jonno:
The fatality was to a climber who had done Memory Lane and had trouble with the ab. off. Tales vary but I understand that the ab rope would not pull and that the climber went back up to the top to rearrange the ab rope and then, for whatever reason, fell the length of the wall. Sad news.
OP Anonymous 27 May 2004
 daveforey 27 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous:
having trouble picturing who tom is. im from aber and have a passing acquaintance with lots of the bangor lot... used to climb at the beacon with them all, and at BUSA.

anyone got any pictures? i only know them by sight, and i'd like to know who he was.

dave
OP Anonymous 27 May 2004
In reply to alfa->bus:

I think a friend of Tom's is going to post a photo and a few words about him on ukb sometime tomorrow as a mark of respect.

daveforey 27 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous:
thanks, feels selfish; but i want to know who he was!
tragic.
dave
Tom was my climbing partner, housemate and dear friend.
He lived and breathed for climbing and was liked by all those who knew him.
I'll miss you, as will all the crew at No.11
I'll remember all the great days we had for as long as I live.
I love you man.

Dan.

Anyone that wishes to pay tribute to Tom can find flowers, messages and things dear to him (like the N.Wales bouldering guide!) below the Cromlech, also i'll try to get a decent picture of him online.
 Mike C 27 May 2004
In reply to The Flying Giraffe

My heartfelt sympathies. I've been there also.
Jonno 27 May 2004
In reply to The Flying Giraffe:

There but for the grace.............

Sorry that the original post was so impersonal but after hearing your moving comments it brings it home.

regards

J
 Dave80 27 May 2004
In reply to The Flying Giraffe: Sorry to hear that. My condolences to his family and friends.

It really brings home the risks we all take when one of our own passes away doing what we all love.

Dave
psd 27 May 2004

Can't manage anything for you than a heartfelt swearword in impotence. Nothing useful to say, nothing profound, nothing of importance except a simple human emotion of "I'm sorry".

Apologies for trying and failing to express the response of an average punter,

ben
OP bomb 27 May 2004
Tragic mate, im so sorry for you all, his family and everyone who knew him. Losing a good friend is very very hard to deal with.
My absolute condolences to you all.
 hoseyb 28 May 2004

I only met Tom once, when he was doing flashdance at vivian, and I was the nutter roaming round the choss, very humble guy.

Thoughts and prayers with you all

Mark
 CENSORED 28 May 2004
Sincere condolonces to his family and friends.
 curlymynci 28 May 2004

I met Tom a few times. He seemed to me to encompass spirit of things up in NW. He was a brilliant climber and a kind warm face to see at the wall.

I know words don't count but my thoughts are with his friends.

Claire
OP Anonymous 28 May 2004
In reply to CragHead:

really sad news. sympathies and condolences to all tom's family and friends.

Steve
OP Anonymous 28 May 2004
In reply to Jonno:

Condolances to his family and friends. I've been through it several times and feel deeply for you all.
 daveforey 28 May 2004

i did know him, used to share beta at the beacon; and we went round busa together for a bit this year at ratho.

always a friendly encouraging comment on hand.. even when i was making a complete arse out of a problem. much friendly than the rest of you bangor scum

north wales' loss.

dave

Foxy 28 May 2004

My heartfelt sympathies go to all who knew him.
 Taxi 28 May 2004
Tom was a great freind, a great person to climb with and a great person to live with.
He was the master of sarcasm and always made me feel i could climb things I might otherwise not have tried
You were always so freindly and laid back, you mede me look like a nervous wreck over exams.
You made people feel relaxed and you made people laugh
Bring the rukus mate
Love you and miss you always.
Claire xx

Live for Today.
 withey 28 May 2004
I can't believe that he's gone. I may have only known him since October/November, but Tom was such a great guy, that he instantly became a true friend.

Never a harsh word, never a mean thing to say. Always a friendly and kind gentleman. And he truly loved what he did. Nobody can take him away from our memories, and our hearts.

Tom we miss you, but we love you!
Rox, Tom and Jack 28 May 2004
In reply to Jonno: We knew Tom as a neighbour and good friend for fifteen years whilst he was at school and college with our son. We send our thoughts to all his friends (particularly those who were with him on Wednesday) and family. He was a lovely man with a great sense of humour and a deep interest in the natural world.
All our love to you Tom.
Sholto 28 May 2004
Tom was such a sound bloke!
I am very grateful to have known and lived with such a person.
His big grin, nasal laugh and sarcastic comments will be missed dearly.
This loss has brought such sadness to us all, but this just illustrates how much we loved the guy.
Will remember you always Tom.

My deepest sympathies to all that knew Tom but especially his family and girlfriend Gill.
The Voice of Reason 28 May 2004
In reply to Jonno: Tom R.I.P

Sympathies at such a sad time to his family and friends
katherine slattery 29 May 2004
In reply to Jonno: i just heard about tom i used to go to college with him, i was wondering where the funeral is ir where i can send a card, tom was amazing he will be missed
 Taxi 31 May 2004
In reply to katherine slattery: Friday, 12 o'clock here in bangor at the crematorium, just your day to day clothes and no flowers(as tom would've liked it). We live at No.11 college road, Bangor. You and anyone else who knew tom are welcome to stay here, but it'll be a squash so bring a sleeping bag.
Thanks,
Dan
Nicola Hawkins 31 May 2004
In reply to Jonno: To inform people about what happened and hopefully help prevent accidents, I am writing this account as someone who saw it happen from very close quarters.
Sonia Brentley and I were on the halfway stance of Sabre Cut, and Sonia was preparing to lead the second pitch. John, Tom's climbing partner joined us at the stance. I am told Tom had led Memory Lane, E3, and John had been unable to follow so he soloed along Spiral Stairs to the base of their next climb, Foil, E3. Tom had abseiled on 2 ropes down Memory Lane to retrieve his gear but suffering a rope jam had been unable to pull his ropes down and had soloed to the top of the crag to pull his ropes up. The 3 of us looked up Foil to see Tom abseiling very fast down one doubled rope, one end of which was a long way above the stance and was not knotted. We shouted warnings to him but he appeared just to go off the end of the one end. He fell the length of the crag then tumbled a long way down the steep scree. With the assistance of Glenda Huxter, who climbed up to join us on the ledge, we all retreated from the crag.
The strange twist to this sad tale is that the doctor who went to Tom, having only been in the Pass to climb, found that both ends of the rope were both through the belay device still, one end only being about a metre away from passing through the device! It appears to me that his anchor may have given way just as he was coming to the end of his rope.
Anyway, I would like to pass on my best wishes and condolences to all of Tom's friends and family, especially John, Cat and Rob, who were at the crag at the time.
Baz 31 May 2004
In reply to Jonno: I'm an old friend of tom's, and the news is such a shock. he will be dearly missed by all who knew or ever met him.. thank you to you all for your kind words.

Rest in peace Tom

Barry
Jonno 31 May 2004

Sadly,I've just received a phone call telling me that the partner of someone I work with died on Cader Idris yesterday.

Quite a black week...............
OP Anonymous 31 May 2004
In reply to Nicola Hawkins:

Thank you.

I needed to know how it happenned, but it felt wrong to ask.

I'm surprised that his anchor gave way, but if both ropes were in the belay then there's not a lot else that can have happenned.
Nicola Hawkins 31 May 2004
In reply to Anonymous: No problem at all!
Peter Marsden 31 May 2004
In reply to Nicola Hawkins: I would like to say thank you to all the people who have sent love and condolences to Tom's family and friends. Tom was the boy friend of my youngest daughter, Jill, for the past four years. They would have been spending this weekend together after having been apart for several weeks during exams at uni. They travelled India and Nepal together and spent time climbing in Nepal when Tom went to Everest base camp. Tom's ready wit and natural grace befriended everyone who met him. He had the most beautiful smile and when he smiled the true beauty of his character shone through and he could light a room. Tom lived every second of his life to the full, he knew a deep and profound love, and he died doing the sport he loved as much as life. He is an inspiration for us all.
STEVE GREIG 02 Jun 2004
In reply to Jonno:Just a few lines from all his friends at Toms local climbing wall, Herringthorpe Leisure Centre, Rotherham, S. Yorks. Tom was known by his friends as Teeny Tiny Tom but there was nothing small about this man. He had a big personality, kind, thoughtful and willing to be involved in any charity events. He had a real thirst for knowledge about climbing. He will be really sadly missed. Sincere condolences are sent to all his family and friends. Steve Greig
Climbing Instructor
I have been avoiding putting a message here as I can't always find exactly how I want to say everything.

As I think we all know Tom was an individual who stood out in the Climbing community around the country and a good friend to many who will be missed. He taught me so much about climbing, and despite being a far superior climber to me never showed any arrogence towards my lack of knowledge.

I would like to thank all those who helped out at the scene: especially Nick and his wife who offered so much invaluable advice - I am forever in your debt, Nicola and her climbing partner - thank you for clearing up much of what happened, the Doctor, and all others around (apologies with the lack of names).

I have only been climbing for 6 months but out there after the accident I saw something magnificent in climbers that left me in awe. I came on the scene 60 seconds after the accident and already people were with Tom and John, doing everything they could. Mountain Rescue, the Police, and the Ambulence had already been called; it was like the people there had made it there soul purpose to help out, taking it upon themselves to care for everyone else. You are role models to us all...

I hope the funeral all goes well...I know it will.

I still apologise that I cannot make it to the funeral on Friday, but my wishes go out to all those at No.11, all of Tom's other friends, Jill, Neil, and his Parents...I only wish I could have done more.

Take Care,

Rob
OP Anonymous 03 Jun 2004
http://www.lyricstar.com/songlyrics/lyrics/Jimmy-Eat-World/Hear-You-Me/7075

You were loved by many and will be missed.
Rest in Peace Tom.

Roo 03 Jun 2004
Tom will be much missed by anyone and everyone who knew him. The first time i met him was by crashing a party at his house and nearly being thrown into the fire by him. Although i only knew him for a ahort while he was a great climber, sarcastic and funny, always up for a laugh and great at making cups of tea. My heart goes out to his girlfriend, his family and close friends

Ruth Craven
Andy Smeaton 07 Jun 2004
Tom was a student at Oakwood School, I knew him well though I never had the pleasure of teaching him. Tom was however an avid member of the school climbing club, though there was little to teach him even then. He was a natural, though its funny that its his smile and laidback shoulder shrug that I remember the more readily. So young, so talented and so much left to do. One of the few who really lived life. I'm so sorry this bad news is how I catch up with events. My sympathies to his family and all the many who were close to him.
Nigel and Judy Revell 07 Jun 2004
In reply to Jonno:
As Tom's parents we would like to express our gratitude to all those who have taken the trouble to post notices and especially to those who attended Tom's funeral in Bangor on Friday.
We are proud to know that Tom had such an impact on the people that he met. We met many special friends of his and give particular thanks to those who carried Tom's coffin, spoke at the funeral or, in many other ways, helped us to organise his farewell.We will miss him always. Nigel and Judy Revell.
Lucy 16 Jun 2004
In reply to Jonno:
We're so sorry to hear the news, my sister and I knew Tom at Oakwood Comp and climbed with him both in and out of school. He was such an awesome guy, sadly missed. RIP Tom.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...