UKC

Getting Round Font

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BennyBoy 17 Aug 2004
I am planning my first Font visit for the end of September and wondered if anyone new the best way to get there i.e.

Driving then ferry / Driving & Euro star
or
Walk on walk off ferry and train / straight through on the train.

All costs seem to be close but, would having a car with you open up more areas of Font?
Can you walk round the forest and get to all areas with out loosing 3/4 of the day?

All advise would be greatly received.
In reply to BennyBoy: If you are planning to visit more than one area of Font you are better of with a car. Otherwise you will be busing about or will be restricted to one area.
Anonymous 17 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy:

Get a car, the forest is massive. You could get the eurostar to Paris and then hire one, or fly and hire one from CDG or drive your own on the ferry. I have been quite a few times and find that if there are a few of you and you have a roofrack then the car/ferry combo seems the best option. But if you can get a dirt cheap flight then that one can work out well too.

OP BennyBoy 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Richard Bradley: Did you need to visit more than one area or is there enough to keep in in one place?
Which ares would you recommend?
Anonymous 17 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy:

the forest is not far off the size off the peak district - you need wheels of some description.
OP BennyBoy 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Anonymous: Did you fly into Paris?
In reply to BennyBoy: Some info here. http://www.zebloc.com/bleau/bleaue.html

If restricting yourself to one area I would say Les Trois Pignons. Lots of good climbing in a relativly small area. Also camp site nearby?!?

We got a flight to CDG and hired a car.
OP BennyBoy 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Richard Bradley: Cheers for the help!!
It might go y'know 17 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy:

I hired a bike for a long weekend from the railway station in Font (flew to CDG, train to Font). Got a cheap room in town and pedalled into the forest every day. Couldn't be arsed to ride to the more distant crags but if you've never been there before there are enough crags in cycling distance to keep you occupied for a good few days.
Chocolate Mousse 17 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy:
If you're on your own you'll probably want stuff that's not too highball with good landings. You could try the following:
Bois Rond
Potala (Vallee de la Mee)
Bas Cuvier - popular but classic.

You're best of parting with a bit of cash and getting Fontainebleau Climbs by Jo & Françoise Montchausse & Jacky Godoffe. It's got great maps and will save you hours trying to find the rocks.

Have fun!
 Paul Boardman 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Richard Bradley:

> If restricting yourself to one area I would say Les Trois Pignons. Lots of good climbing in a relativly small area. Also camp site nearby?!?

La Musardiere camp site is within walking distance of loads of good climbing. Gorges au chat and all the areas in Les Trois Pignons. Walking to Milli is a pain though, so I'd recommend getting a car. The easiest trip (and cheapest) was a flight to CDG and a hire car (with 3 other people).

Have fun!
JP 17 Aug 2004
In reply to Paul Boardman: Thats what we did and it was definately worth it - makes it easier for trips to the crags, shops and McDonalds! We used Eurocar who did a discount as we flew with Easyjet - a bit of a tip though - jetwash the car before yo take it back and hoover the cr*p out from inside - it cost us 60 euros because they cleaned it! Oh, and squeeze EVERy last drop of fuel in that you can - the buggers charged us for fuel also! Mind you we got away with the scratch down the rear wing - nothing to do with us but some T-Cut seemed to have masked it enough for us not to get caught
dylan burgess 19 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy: no way bummer boy you'll be gettin scared of heights soon and complaining your not in the right frame of mind now your bouldering all the time. You may as well give me your rope its never gonna get used dude! : )
Billy De Kid 19 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy:
Font is a paradise. If you camp by the 'Trois Pignons' in Mili then you'll have plenty to do within walking distance. Enjoy!
OP BennyBoy 20 Aug 2004
In reply to dylan burgess: HA you wish!! I'm still hot on your tail and who knows maybe all my bouldering exploits will push my sport grade which is the ultimate aim.

We need a sport week in the south of France Dude!
dylan burgess 20 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy: yeah kirstys mum and dad are buying a caravan park over there this year so its gonna be our second home!
OP BennyBoy 20 Aug 2004
In reply to dylan burgess: Your second home sound like a second home I would like!! we need to get it on the cards dude. How come Kirsty has a new phone?
dylan burgess 20 Aug 2004
In reply to BennyBoy: she likes to spend money!! (as in my money) bless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...