UKC

Achilles’ tendon reconstruction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exocet 26 Sep 2018

Ruptured my AT in March. Did not have it repaired as that is now not usually done apparently. Had the accelerated functional rehabilitation method - ie. in an orthopaedic boot for 8 weeks. Have been back climbing for 3 months but after an initial spurt of progress from dangling, udging, knee bars etc to more normal use of the foot, seem to have plateaued and making little progress. Stuck top roping easy routes with big holds. Reconstruction has been mentioned by my consultant if it looks like I am not going to be able to get the required power back - the tendon has healed in a lengthened state so it is very difficult to push off on it in certain positions. The steeper the route, the more the foot likes it. Anybody had any experience of reconstruction?

La benya 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Exocet:

From the world of sport- Carzola was out for 2 years with that injury. Anthony Watson has been out for 8 months and counting. 

What im saying is it’s a really slow healing injury (which is why I opted against getting it fixed at the same time as my other ligament ops). 8 weeks out is nothing. In your three months back have you been doing any therapy? Or just kinda winging it? 

Bob Bennett 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Exocet:

Mine was "back plastered" i.e. over a period of 6 weeks the foot was plastered facing down then replastered ,three times slowly bringing my foot into the correct position. it took a further 3 months to get it right , I had to use heel lifts to reduce pain but eventually ok. Consultant gave me no physio which I had to self adminster. 

webbo 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Exocet:

I had mine repaired two years ago. I was seen at the NHS fracture clinic and told they treat ruptures conservatively unless you are active. I pointed out I was active given I had ruptured it climbing. So the medic said let’s treat it conservatively. So I saw a consultant privately through my wife’s health insurance. Who reckoned that you had a 40% less chance of rerupturing with surgery.Given he’d operated on a fair few super league players, I thought he might know what he’s on about. Mine feels fine, I have no problems climbing, cycling or walking on it. I think when standing on my toes on the side I had the operation I can’t quite get as high as on the other foot.

I had the operation in January boot off in March. I was cycling 60 miles by late April and back using my 40 degree overhanging board by the first week in May.

I don’t know whether this is helpful or not but my experiences with NHS have made question what I’m being told. 

Which is a bit hard to accept having being an NHS clinician for 30 years.

lorentz 27 Sep 2018
In reply to La benya:

Sorry for thread hijack... Did you see the vid on BBC sports website about Cazorla's achilles injury?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45602488

Apparently 8cms of tendon was eaten by a bacterial infection and they replaced it with tendon harvested (complete with part of an existing tattoo) from his forearm. Hence 2 years off games. worth a quick watch. 

OP Exocet 27 Sep 2018

Thanks for the comments. Interested that Webbo comments that standing on the toe from the side is my experience at the moment. I actually ruptured my right one 25 years ago ( playing badminton) but don’t remember the rehab being so hard or prolonged and lead The Corner 8 months later. but I was 25 years younger! 

But this means I am quite impatient. I’ve had ongoing Physio btw and a lot of support with rehab exercises from my Physio. However, developments over the last couple of days make me feel it’s too soon to tell them to get the knife out! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...