UKC

Antihydral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have used antihydral on and off over the years, perhaps 2 tubes in 5 years. Bought from Germany. I find it helpful to use prior to and during a hot rock trip. 

Idly wondering why it is not available in the uk? Regulations, lack of demand or other. 

Cobra_Head 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

>have used antihydral on and off over the years, perhaps 2 tubes in 5 years

Why?

Post edited at 12:09
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Continue reading and he says why!!!

MischaHY 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Due to being a highly sweaty chap, presumably. I also need it pretty much year round if I don't want to ruin my skin after 1-2 routes or boulders. I think some people don't realise just how much of a difference there can be between skin types and how much of a performance difference it makes! 

Cobra_Head 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> Continue reading and he says why!!!

Don't really think he did to be honest, but thanks anyhow.

Cobra_Head 04 Dec 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

> Due to being a highly sweaty chap, presumably.

I see, I never realised people sweat that much from their hands. Obviously most people sweat, but I've always just wiped them on my shirt / shorts and it's enough.

Cheers

In reply to Cobra_Head:

Good for you. 

Can anyone answer my question? 

Why is it unavailable in the UK? 

MischaHY 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> I see, I never realised people sweat that much from their hands. Obviously most people sweat, but I've always just wiped them on my shirt / shorts and it's enough.

I'm jealous! Would love to be such a fantastically dry-fingered fellow but sadly genetics had something else in mind and without something like antihydral I have pathetic papery-thin damp finger pads that get ruined on a slightly sharp hold. In contrast with a weekly antihydral application (or bi-weekly in very hot conditions) I have bombproof durable skin and only have to chalk occasionally. 

Personally I think it's a good think for this to be wider know because frankly it reduces chalk required significantly which thereby reduces marking on rock etc. 

Arms Cliff 04 Dec 2020

> Idly wondering why it is not available in the uk? Regulations, lack of demand or other. 

I think during a trainingbeta episode with the  Rhino Skin guy I think he said something about it being out of license in the UK. I assume that the Rhino products that also have Methanamin (the active ingredient) in are at lower concentrations and as such on to be sold at walls etc. 

Cobra_Head 04 Dec 2020

> Good for you. 

I don't think there was any need to be arsey (not just you obviously), I simply asked why, having never heard of the stuff, it seems like a reasonable question.

Mischa seemed to be able to provide an answer, which I thanked him for.

Post edited at 17:43
In reply to Cobra_Head:

I was not being arsey princess (I am now). 

I am pleased that you hands don't sweat and interfere with your climbing. Mine do. 

mik82 04 Dec 2020

>Why is it unavailable in the UK? 

It's not a licensed medicine in the UK. (The only licensed form of methanamine is an oral form for urinary tract infections). 

gravy 04 Dec 2020

The same stuff is in Rhino performance (or green lid I think) but at a lower concentration with a decent moisturiser.

Sure it's a fancier bottle, costs a bit more (only if you don't consider the postage) and is lower concentration but it smells better and doesn't turn my skin in to non gripping glassy leather and it still works.

If I used stump cream at your rate my fingers wouldn't be able to bend anymore the skin would be so hard.

> I have used antihydral on and off over the years, perhaps 2 tubes in 5 years. Bought from Germany. I find it helpful to use prior to and during a hot rock trip. 

> Idly wondering why it is not available in the uk? Regulations, lack of demand or other. 

Crikey, I've had the same tube for around 15 years and it's still 3/4 full.  Admittedly I don't suffer from sweaty hands and only use it to thicken skin before prolonged periods of climbing (Bank Holiday weekends and trips abroad).   Presumably you don't get the problems I do - Antihydral makes my skin tough but weirdly plasticky - less grip and when it is cut (say, by a crystal), it takes a much, much longer time to heal.  Marginal decision whether or not it's better to abstain and tape up instead.

Post edited at 21:28
 Cobra_Head 05 Dec 2020

> I am pleased that you hands don't sweat and interfere with your climbing. Mine do. 

Good on both counts!

You did go on to ask if someone could answer your question, maybe you could have reciprocated and answered mine, just a thought, my precious.

You never know, I might have had an alternative for you. It's nice to be nice.

Post edited at 13:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...