UKC

Climbing Gyms in West Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Spencer Noble 19 Feb 2019

Hi!

Does anyone know of (or own!) any under the radar climbing gym's, walls, moon boards, knobbly walls in the West Lakes?

So places like Bootle, Seascale, Gosforth, Eskdale, Wasdale, Egermont, St Bees, Whitehaven.

I'm moving to Wasdale to work at the YHA. I want to climb lots this summer! But all the top public climbing walls in the Lakes are miles away from Wasdale.

Tak!

Post edited at 20:13
In reply to Spencer Noble:

The nearest wall I know of to you is Cockermouth wall, but even that is not THAT near. I hear there's a bit of climbing in Wasdale if the weather allows.....

OP Spencer Noble 19 Feb 2019
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Thanks Wide Mouth Frog. Yeah, Wasdale looks marvellous.

I used to work there (13 years ago), lovely spot but no local climbing walls and most of the good crags are quite a walk in. Some good bouldering in eskdale and at st bees . Would suggest you get a fingerboard.

Enjoy your season.

petegunn 20 Feb 2019

A good thing about being based on the west side is that in mid summer it doesn't get dark until after 10pm (~10.30pm at St. Bees) so plenty of time to hit St.Bees or Eskdale after work. 

Spike 21 Feb 2019

there was a wall at Egremont (Wyndham School I think) where we used to climb but am not whether it is still there or what access is like - quick google search implies it is still there but you may need to be a member of West Cumbria climbing club to gain access

link here ... http://www.westcumbriamountaineeringclub.co.uk/climbing-wall.php

King Kong wall is good in Keswick, Cockermouth wall redeveloped (well) a couple of years back - it is small but cheap, Carlisle good, Kendal good but both a trek for you from West Cumbria

OP Spencer Noble 23 Mar 2019

That's great. Thanks everyone. Think I'll take the hit and drive to Keswick or Kendal if I need a wall. Will give Cockermouth a chance. 

Egremont is no longer accessible from what I've heard. If anyone (truly) knows anything up-to-date about that please let me know. Might make a dedicated post about that.

Thanks for your bouldering tips too r/ Eskdale.

Happy Spring 2019!!!! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...