UKC

Cold Feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 george570 30 Oct 2018

It's getting very cold at my gym now and despite my usual warm up routine, I'm still struggling a bit with having very cold toes. It's fine in my looser shoes I use for mileage but makes a difference in my tighter performance pair. 

If the radiators are on in the changing room I'll set my shoes on that for a couple of minutes, failing that they sit in my armpits to warm up. Does anyone have any better tips?

Jon Read 30 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

Shoes down the t-shirt/top when not in use is what I use outside over winter. I presume your tootsies are wrapped up snug between routes? Ankle warmers can help, and you'll look fabulous to boot.

Murd 30 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

Always have them in foot well with the heater blowing on them on the way to the wall, least there not like ice boxes when I first put them on!

Jenny C 30 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

Don't leave footwear in a cold car all day. When Climbing after work I bring my bag into the office so the shoes don't need to be artifically warmed before use.

slab_happy 30 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

Take them off as much as possible? Cold plus constriction seems to cause my body to decide to give up on circulation to my toes, so making sure I take my shoes off and wiggle my toes more often than usual seems to help prevent that.

A friend has down "hut slippers" which she wears between boulder problems at the gym when it's cold, and she is the envy of all.

FactorXXX 30 Oct 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

> Don't leave footwear in a cold car all day. When Climbing after work I bring my bag into the office so the shoes don't need to be artifically warmed before use.

I'd be sacked for a Health and Safety violation if I took my climbing shoes into work!

OP george570 31 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

Top tips!! 

I'll be driving in today so I'll pre-heat them in the car and I'll definitely try taking them off between climbs. I'll hold off on the slippers unless I get desperate!!

La benya 31 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

Wear more clothes on you body than you normally would. Raise your core temp and your extremities will stay warmer for longer

OP george570 31 Oct 2018
In reply to La benya:

The last couple of weeks I have been climbing with a hoodie on and the hood up. It keeps me warmer but I don't look very friendly!

oldie 31 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

> If the radiators are on in the changing room I'll set my shoes on that for a couple of minutes <

Thermos of hot water, tip some into a shoe-sized aluminium bottle to put inside shoe? 

Andrew Kin 31 Oct 2018
In reply to george570:

Include lots of skipping into your 20-30mins warm up.  Whilst doing this hand the shoes to your dad who is cooking under many layers of coats and jumpers to put them under his armpits.  They come out toasty warm, if slightly moist.

If that doesn’t work then repeat the skipping and press ups.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...