UKC

Depot opening times

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 26 Dec 2019

Hi all,

I don't work for depot but just to let everyone know. The opening times on their website https://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/manchester are wrong. Google is also wrong and nothing has been posted on their twitter (Manchester) since May. 

You will find their opening times on instagram though: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6c-rJQD5Kl/?hl=en

Yes I drove 20 miles to find out I had an hour to climb and yes I did get chewed out by reception for daring to ask if the correct times were on the website :S.

I did mention this to someone more reasonable on the way out (so they can fix this for New Year's Eve) and they do not have the skills on hand to update the website which isn't really good enough.

P.S. I would have been happy if they closed entirely to give their staff a break (like MCC) but I'd hope they would put this fact on their website

Post edited at 18:13
 Jenny C 26 Dec 2019
In reply to FreshSlate:

As you say totally fair to be closed or on reduced hours on boxing day, but not unreasonable for users to expect opening on the website to be correct - especially as around Christmas the liklihood of using a wall that you aren't a regular visitor of (so don't follow on social media) is high.

OP FreshSlate 26 Dec 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

I have to admit I dont really follow social media which has caught me out.

I did also check google and twitter before I left but I'm not really used to checking instagram when I go to the climbing centre or shops or anywhere else I'd be checking times for. The person behind the counter reeled off the website, google, twitter and the signs in the centre as places they'd advertised their times on 'for months' but only the last one was actually true.

I wouldn't mind but they are even listing events until 9pm such as the Yoga which is supposedly happening right now despite them kicking us out 45 minutes ago! 👌

Post edited at 18:47
 Coel Hellier 26 Dec 2019
In reply to FreshSlate:

> ...nothing has been posted on their twitter (Manchester) since May.  You will find their opening times on instagram though:

Obviously all the trendy kids have migrated from Twitter to Instagram!

Jenny C 26 Dec 2019
In reply to FreshSlate:

Trouble is there are to many social media options. For me the website should still be the default option for general info - even if it contains a link telling you to refer to social media for 'bank holiday and Christmas opening times' (but for the love of God a social media site you can view without having to register and log in as a user first!). 

Ian Patterson 26 Dec 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

> As you say totally fair to be closed or on reduced hours on boxing day, but not unreasonable for users to expect opening on the website to be correct - especially as around Christmas the liklihood of using a wall that you aren't a regular visitor of (so don't follow on social media) is high.

To be honest if I looked up opening times and don't see a specific mention of Christmas opening I would look further before making a decision - if you actually thought they were the genuine and complete times then you would have expected them to be open on the 25th!

WB 26 Dec 2019
In reply to Ian Patterson:

I might of used my phone for what it was originally designed.

deepsoup 26 Dec 2019

> To be honest if I looked up opening times and don't see a specific mention of Christmas opening I would look further before making a decision

I would too, but what's particularly crap about the Depot site the OP links to is that it has a prominent "What's happening today!" bit that is clearly just scrolling through the usual schedule automatically without taking any variations into account.

I wouldn't assume that the 'Tuesday' opening hours apply to a Tuesday that also happens to be Christmas Eve, but you can't really blame someone for thinking that 'Today' means today. 

Perhaps more to the point the appropriate attitude for the member of staff on the desk to adopt with a customer who's a bit exasperated about that is apologetic, not pissy.

Oceanrower 26 Dec 2019
In reply to WB:

> I might of used my phone for what it was originally designed.

Checking grammar?

deepsoup 26 Dec 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

> Trouble is there are to many social media options. For me the website should still be the default option for general info - even if it contains a link telling you to refer to social media for 'bank holiday and Christmas opening times' ..

Just below the erroneous "What's happening today!" thing, their website does make a prominent feature of their twitter feed.  Which is a fat lot of use if they decided six or seven months ago that they'd no longer be bothering with Twitter obviously.

The website also has a "news" section.  The least they could do is post variations to the opening times in a little article there.  The OP is quite right, it really isn't good enough.

OP FreshSlate 27 Dec 2019

> To be honest if I looked up opening times and don't see a specific mention of Christmas opening I would look further before making a decision - if you actually thought they were the genuine and complete times then you would have expected them to be open on the 25th!

Actually, all of the regular Wednesday activities for the 25th had been taken off and you can't get opening times for the 25th whilst for the 26th you get opening times of 10pm you had a yoga session and two induction sessions scheduled for after 6pm on their website. So it did seem to reflect Christmas Day at least, and twitter / google weren't contradicting it so it seemed credible enough.

Anyway, apparently scrolling through the instagram for a picture of their opening times is now the way to go. Luckily I'm not visually impaired and don't rely on the aid of screen readers!

Arms Cliff 27 Dec 2019
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Anyway, apparently scrolling through the instagram for a picture of their opening times is now the way to go. Luckily I'm not visually impaired and don't rely on the aid of screen readers!

I guess if you were you could just phone them and ask what their Boxing Day opening hours were. 

Here’s the post (3rd in their feed) in case anyone is going there NYE or NYD https://www.instagram.com/p/B6c-rJQD5Kl/?igshid=1tldgzimnf7qd

Post edited at 08:13
 Trangia 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

> Checking grammar?

Brilliant!! I wonder why you got the dislikes?

In reply to Arms Cliff:

> I guess if you were you could just phone them and ask what their Boxing Day opening hours were. 

> Here’s the post (3rd in their feed) in case anyone is going there NYE or NYD https://www.instagram.com/p/B6c-rJQD5Kl/?igshid=1tldgzimnf7qd

Yeah in hindsight I could have. My preference was MCC but they were clearly shut. 

I'm not sure how impressed Depot would have been fielding hundreds of calls all day but I might just ring them before I set off in future .

Thanks for linking directly to the post again!

Cheers!

Post edited at 09:37
 Oceanrower 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Trangia:

I think I got me a stalker.

I even got a dislike for a light hearted joke about liquid chalk!

ETA. You seem to have one too...

Post edited at 11:02
 Max Hangs 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Questioning dislikes guarantees a dislike. You should know this by now

Martin Wing 27 Dec 2019
In reply to FreshSlate:

Christmas opening times are listed on the website 

https://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/manchester/news/2019-festive-opening-hou...

Luke90 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Martin Wing:

> Christmas opening times are listed on the website 

To avoid confusion, it's worth pointing out that was only posted today.

Post edited at 16:06
 deepsoup 27 Dec 2019
In reply to Martin Wing:

> Christmas opening times are listed on the website
> https://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/manchester/news/2019-festive-opening-hou...

Better late than never I suppose. 

In reply to deepsoup:

Result

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...