UKC

Dislocated finger recovery?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 31 May 2021

I dislocated by ring finger second joint today, hospital put it back to in place splinted to my second finger. Has anyone else had this and can advise on recovery time before gentle wall visits avoiding risk of permanent weakness? My first and second fingers are my strongest and do most of the work when I’m climbing. Thanks 

pwo 01 Jun 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

can we play top trumps? 
I’ve been unfortunate enough to have an open fracture dislocation of my dominant middle finger (trapped in a lazerette), two dislocations of either ring finger on both hands (falling off bikes) and one spectacular ‘partial degloving’ when my finger stayed in a gate of crab just as I fell off. None of the injuries stopped me climbing or cycling. I just moderated what I did and chose easier routes to do. In my 70s now so sorry can’t give any time frame for recovery cause I’ve forgotten! But I have ended up with arthritis in all the injured fingers and nowhere else (yet). Oh and a pal of mine ,when we were doing the haute route, tripped and dislocated his middle finger (spectacular 90 degree jobbie). We bodged a repair and finished the trip with (as planned) doing the Matterhorn. 
do tell how you injured yourself. Hope it goes well

Babika 01 Jun 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

I dislocated the same finger climbing many years ago and had a splint by the hospital. 

Didn't take very long at all to get back climbing and there were no long term effects except a permanently enlarged joint which meant my ring had to be enlarged to fit over and then rattles around on the other side. 

Good luck!

In reply to Babika and pwo

thanks, that’s encouraging 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...