UKC

GB Representation in Briancon WC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billymo 23 Aug 2020

Does anyone know the reason why there was no GB representation at the Briancon WC?

I noticed on Molly T-S’s Instagram that she was in Briancon but wasn’t allowed to compete due to ‘her federation’? 

Seems mad not letting her compete when she was at the competition. 

Jon Greengrass 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Billymo:

read this and see if you can work out why

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

Ian W 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> read this and see if you can work out why

Irrelevant as she lives in germany at the moment. Maybe because the Bmc staff are / were furloughed and couldn't process the entry application?

In reply to Billymo:

There was British representation at Briancon, Tim Hatch was the Jury president.

OP Billymo 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

As Ian said, I think she’s been living in Germany all through lockdown. 

Could be that they just couldn’t submit the entry, but considering Andy Murray is competing in America this week (which surely is more risk than France right now) and a whole host of GB athletes were in Sweden for the Diamond League it does seem odd. 

Post edited at 11:58
 Si dH 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Ian W:

> Irrelevant as she lives in germany at the moment. Maybe because the Bmc staff are / were furloughed and couldn't process the entry application?

I was sceptical about quarantine being the reason too, but Molly did actually reply to someone's direct question on her Instagram two days ago with the words "my federation wouldn't let any Brits compete!" -so it seems this reason is correct. Presumably the federation comes up with a rule for all Brits and is not willing to be flexible for individuals who are actually already out of the country.

Edit I'm not actually sure what federation means in this context, presumably not the IFSC.

Post edited at 16:51
 john arran 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Si dH:

> Edit I'm not actually sure what federation means in this context, presumably not the IFSC.

"Federation" is the internationally accepted generic term for a sport's NGB, so in this case, the BMC.

Ian W 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Si dH:

> I was sceptical about quarantine being the reason too, but Molly did actually reply to someone's direct question on her Instagram two days ago with the words "my federation wouldn't let any Brits compete!" -so it seems this reason is correct. Presumably the federation comes up with a rule for all Brits and is not willing to be flexible for individuals who are actually already out of the country.

> Edit I'm not actually sure what federation means in this context, presumably not the IFSC.

Federation = BMC

Agree it's odd; she was already there and seemingly willing to compete. It's not as if she's just there to make up the numbers.

In reply to Ian W:

> Federation = BMC

BMC = disaster area.

"To lose one board member may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose four looks like carelessness."

john arran 24 Aug 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> "To lose one board member may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose four looks like carelessness."

Very good.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that people too often get involved in BMC governance matters more out of a desire to embroil themselves in petty political manoeuvrings or individual crusades than due to a genuine desire to make positive changes that will be welcomed by a majority of members. Sad, really, and doesn't do any favours to those that get involved for much more positive reasons.

Mark Kemball 24 Aug 2020
In reply to john arran:

I think that is a bit cynical John and the description does not fit any of the people I know who are involved with the BMC.

john arran 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Mark Kemball:

You may be right and my impression - very much from first-hand experience - may now be somewhat dated. I do hope so.

In reply to Mark Kemball:

John Arran, xcynical about the BMC, nah, that can't be right

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/trevallen_cliff-710/british_machia...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...