UKC

Gymnastic Rings Dips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi.

I have been doing dips with gymnastic rings when I am at a bouldering social, does anyone else do this exercise?

I can do two sets of five reps per set but I also do holds and I've been adding a core engaged leg straightener to the hold and can almost get them at 90 degrees

S

AlanLittle 16 Dec 2023
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

I sometimes do them, good exercise. I find it's good for shoulder health if I balance all the pulling that we do in climbing with a few sets of these.

> I also do holds

Ditto. People (gymnasts) recommend doing ring support holds with thumbs turned out and palms forwards. I'm not quite sure why this is. Healthier shoulder position? Progression towards more advanced gymnastic skills? But i try to do it anyway.

Post edited at 23:05
 rgold 17 Dec 2023

If you're going to use rings, the thing to work on is not just dips but muscle-ups.

In reply to AlanLittle:

> I sometimes do them, good exercise. I find it's good for shoulder health if I balance all the pulling that we do in climbing with a few sets of these.

They have really worked my shoulders as well as other muscle groups. I'm still recovering from Thursday's social.

> Ditto. People (gymnasts) recommend doing ring support holds with thumbs turned out and palms forwards. I'm not quite sure why this is. Healthier shoulder position? Progression towards more advanced gymnastic skills? But i try to do it anyway.

Possibly I can look into that. I would like to do more gymnastics/calisthenics exercises.

S

Post edited at 20:16
In reply to rgold:

> If you're going to use rings, the thing to work on is not just dips but muscle-ups.

I would love to be able to do muscle ups and they are what I am working up to. 😀😃

S

Post edited at 20:18
 CantClimbTom 17 Dec 2023

No idea why someone downvoted you, gymnastic ring muscle ups is a noble goal 

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> No idea why someone downvoted you, gymnastic ring muscle ups is a noble goal 

I am clueless on that too. Too right.

> No idea why someone downvoted you, gymnastic ring muscle ups is a noble goal 

Yesterday evening I tried to do gymnastic ring muscle ups from the L sit position but I just managed to get my torso over the rings.

CantClimbTom 04 Jan 2024

To the downvoters on M.Spirit's  thread:

please post a link of a vid of yourself doing a clean good form L sit muscle up on gymnastic rings and I'll never question any of your downvotes again.

In reply to rgold:

> If you're going to use rings, the thing to work on is not just dips but muscle-ups.

Apparently for muscle ups you need to be able to do several chest to bar pull ups.

S

In reply to AlanLittle:

> I sometimes do them, good exercise. I find it's good for shoulder health if I balance all the pulling that we do in climbing with a few sets of these.

> Ditto. People (gymnasts) recommend doing ring support holds with thumbs turned out and palms forwards. I'm not quite sure why this is. Healthier shoulder position? Progression towards more advanced gymnastic skills? But i try to do it anyway.

Are you talking about the false grip?

AlanLittle 05 Jan 2024

No, I think that's mainly relevant for when you're hanging below the rings - or for transitioning from below to above, people say it's important for the muscle-up. Just palms turned forward rather than facing inwards

CantClimbTom 05 Jan 2024

If you're talking about bar muscle ups (not ring) here... it's often suggested that when you get good at pulling the bar to your chest and train the swinging style pull up rather than straight vertical pull (to help the transition to muscle up) the next thing to start working on are straight bar dips. I was just at that point before Christmas but I tore something in my back/shoulder (impact injury, unrelated to this) so when I get back to it that's what apparently I need to work on next. I never really enjoyed standard dips and seemed to find them harder than others, so not looking forward to straight bar dips.

In reply to AlanLittle:

> No, I think that's mainly relevant for when you're hanging below the rings - or for transitioning from below to above, people say it's important for the muscle-up. Just palms turned forward rather than facing inwards

Ah yes.

I think I know what you are taking about know. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/T6hxsL1Rbx6fYo7W6

Sav

> If you're talking about bar muscle ups (not ring) here... it's often suggested that when you get good at pulling the bar to your chest and train the swinging style pull up rather than straight vertical pull (to help the transition to muscle up) the next thing to start working on are straight bar dips. I was just at that point before Christmas but I tore something in my back/shoulder (impact injury, unrelated to this) so when I get back to it that's what apparently I need to work on next. I never really enjoyed standard dips and seemed to find them harder than others, so not looking forward to straight bar dips.

I was talking about gymnastic rings muscle ups and I got a bit confused in a video when the guy mentioned chest to ring pull ups and chest to bar pull ups. 

https://youtu.be/_-5444uIV6M?si=N_zFN5RVuCXvlAYO

Sav

> To the downvoters on M.Spirit's  thread:

> please post a link of a vid of yourself doing a clean good form L sit muscle up on gymnastic rings and I'll never question any of your downvotes again.

👍

Yesterday at CanaryWall I tried to do clean to ring pull ups. I am getting there! 💪

S

Meant to have bean chest to ring pull ups.

Post edited at 18:58
 mutt 11 Jan 2024

I do ring dips but I can't see how they are specific to climbing. shoulder stability I suppose but muscle ups are a pure vanity project. I don't think it will help in climbing. better to  get on the campus board.

In reply to mutt:

> I do ring dips but I can't see how they are specific to climbing. shoulder stability I suppose but muscle ups are a pure vanity project. I don't think it will help in climbing. better to  get on the campus board.

I do use campus board for somethings. I suppose dips and muscle ups and can use to train for pushing on holds -some holds you can readapt on on.

Post edited at 15:18
In reply to mutt:

> I do ring dips but I can't see how they are specific to climbing. shoulder stability I suppose but muscle ups are a pure vanity project. I don't think it will help in climbing. better to  get on the campus board.

Don't they train the muscles needed to climb roofs?

mutt 13 Jan 2024

Not sure they do. Better to do arm curl pullups imo. Muscle ups use to much swing to be useful on routes 

Climbing Stew 13 Jan 2024
In reply to mutt:

> Not sure they do. Better to do arm curl pullups imo. Muscle ups use to much swing to be useful on routes 

Well they won't do any harm, but neither are they really going to help a beginner.

In reply to mutt:

> Not sure they do. Better to do arm curl pullups imo. Muscle ups use to much swing to be useful on routes 

I think they may train them.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/ring-muscle-up-guide#6I6V0j1DcMCT2gTFj...

I am feeling the benefits.

Are Arm curl pull ups the save as chin ups?

MelvinWaggg 14 Jan 2024

Is there any benefit to ring dips over parallel bar dips (i.e normal tricep dips to me) other than access to equipment? To me parallel bar dips would be more stable thus let you train strength easier.

In reply to MelvinWaggg:

> Is there any benefit to ring dips over parallel bar dips (i.e normal tricep dips to me) other than access to equipment? To me parallel bar dips would be more stable thus let you train strength easier.

This might help answer your question

https://barbend.com/ring-vs-bar-dips/

In reply to mutt:

> Muscle ups use to much swing to be useful on routes 

Not if done 'properly'

In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> Not if done 'properly'

Are you talking about the strict version?

Post edited at 21:56

At White Spider today, after the social, I almost did 4 chest to rings pull ups.

mutt 15 Jan 2024

Nice. Well done

I don't know, just the method of doing it in one smooth motion. Although I agree with mutt that you probably don't need that level of strength for climbing. It's a good party trick though. Good luck! 

Post edited at 22:29
In reply to mutt:

> Nice. Well done

Thank you. I did four but they were almost to rings.

James Harker 15 Jan 2024

I wouldn't have thought the rings muscle up was that useful for climbing to be honest. Not saying it won't help at all, but apart from the strength to be able to pull up to chest and complete the catch/transition, it's main difficulty is being able to do the false grip properly, which requires quite a bit of grip/wrist strength and wrist flexibility. I would have thought for that reason, climbing would be more useful to the rings muscle up than vice versa, but still it's fun to learn anyways. A better goal for climbing would be going through the progressions for the front lever which needs a strong core and lats, particularly useful for roof climbing...

rgold 16 Jan 2024

A few comments about things that have been said so far.

1. The focus got to muscle-ups quickly, and for good reason: they are a better climbing exercise and include the dips anyway.
  2. Bar muscle-ups are more climbing-specific than ring muscle-ups.  In the ring muscle up you lean forward and get your chest in front of your hands, which is not a movement with any parallels on rock.
  3. Bar muscle-ups can be done with swinging and kipping motions, at which point they aren't strength exercises and more and lose most the their climbing relevance.
  4. Both bar and ring muscle ups, if done statically, require a false grip.  I don't think there is anything notably strenuous about the false grip, it just doesn't seem natural when you are hanging. Although...it is quite hard to hang fully straight-armed with a false grip, you need a slight bend in the elbows.
  5. There are climbing applications, most of them would be on vertical or close-to-vertical moves, not on extreme overhangs.  The useful strength comes from an ability to pull past the shoulder and continue pressing. Taking a high step and moving up without being able to get the hands any higher, for example.  Topping out on sloping ground is another place where this type of strength can help.
  6. Front levers were mentioned.  A good combination exercise is to do repetitions of front lever to muscle-up and back down to front lever.  Rubber bands or (I think better) surgical latex tubing is a good aid for working on these with less than body weight.
In reply to James Harker:

> I wouldn't have thought the rings muscle up was that useful for climbing to be honest. Not saying it won't help at all, but apart from the strength to be able to pull up to chest and complete the catch/transition, it's main difficulty is being able to do the false grip properly, which requires quite a bit of grip/wrist strength and wrist flexibility. I would have thought for that reason, climbing would be more useful to the rings muscle up than vice versa, but still it's fun to learn anyways. A better goal for climbing would be going through the progressions for the front lever which needs a strong core and lats, particularly useful for roof climbing...

Hi.

Interesting.

A while ago I attended a Calisthenics basics class at Font Wandsworth and on a Facebook page called Climbers Crag about me having problems with front levers. Crimp'd do say front lever holds are training for roofs.

In reply to rgold:

> A few comments about things that have been said so far.

> The focus got to muscle-ups quickly, and for good reason: they are a better climbing exercise and include the dips anyway.

> Bar muscle-ups are more climbing-specific than ring muscle-ups.  In the ring muscle up you lean forward and get your chest in front of your hands, which is not a movement with any parallels on rock.

> Bar muscle-ups can be done with swinging and kipping motions, at which point they aren't strength exercises and more and lose most the their climbing relevance.

> Both bar and ring muscle ups, if done statically, require a false grip.  I don't think there is anything notably strenuous about the false grip, it just doesn't seem natural when you are hanging. Although...it is quite hard to hang fully straight-armed with a false grip, you need a slight bend in the elbows.

> There are climbing applications, most of them would be on vertical or close-to-vertical moves, not on extreme overhangs.  The useful strength comes from an ability to pull past the shoulder and continue pressing. Taking a high step and moving up without being able to get the hands any higher, for example.  Topping out on sloping ground is another place where this type of strength can help.

> Front levers were mentioned.  A good combination exercise is to do repetitions of front lever to muscle-up and back down to front lever.  Rubber bands or (I think better) surgical latex tubing is a good aid for working on these with less than body weight.

Just a little update. 

Yesterday at CanaryWall I tried the chest to rings to chest pull up again and I felt I was going into a front lever. What I almost managed to do was go from an inverted row into a dip followed a sort of L sit.

I tried the chest to bar version at the end and I had the same result.

S

Climbing Stew 17 Jan 2024

But... have you actually climbed anything?

In reply to Climbing Stew:

> But... have you actually climbed anything?

I've done stuff on the splatterboard and at White Spider I toproped a F5.

If you want to improve your climbing, sacrifice rings etc for climbing, they'll be of no benefit on 5's.

I'm planning to move on from 5s

Great, see the advice I wrote above!

Get back doing ring stuff when you're climbing in the 8's then they may be more useful.

> Great, see the advice I wrote above!

> Get back doing ring stuff when you're climbing in the 8's then they may be more useful.

Will ring stuff with steep and vertical 6th grade routes? 

(Lol) Training for that 8c+ I mentioned in previous thread a while ago.

I only do rings when at the board social when the splatterboard is already being used. 

Post edited at 19:30

> Will ring stuff with steep and vertical 6th grade routes? 

Honestly, no.

> Honestly, no.

I like doing ring stuff anyway 

> I like doing ring stuff anyway 

Cool, I "liked" that post, but don't kid yourself it'll improve your climbing, if that's something you are serious about.

> Cool, I "liked" that post, but don't kid yourself it'll improve your climbing, if that's something you are serious about.

Well, I think Vinyasa Yoga has helped and maybe the ring stuff with non jug holds. 

Post edited at 21:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...