UKC

Hangboard Mounting Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianstevens 11 Oct 2021

After many years of building janky wooden structures, I now have the opportunity to attach my hangboard to a solid concrete wall (pretty sure there are bits of rebar in there too). However, I have no idea what I’m doing*, and “the internet” has proved less than helpful. So anyone here with experience? The wall itself is (as far as I can tell) dead flat, being a < 3 year old apartment and made by efficient Europeans so it’s actually all square and well finished. It’ll be above a recess, so no need to force the board out from the wall (ie there is space to hang).

*okay I’m not completely hopeless, I know I’ll need to hire a masonary drill and have DIY’d plenty of wooden training structures, none of which have broken.

NaCl 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

If it's reinforced I'd be inclined to suggest an SDS drill will be a much better bet. Similar to a common or garden hammer drill but with rather more "ooomph" I'd probably still use an 18mm ply backboard just to allow the fixings to be spread out more (because I get paranoid). Drill holes in back board (or FB if no back board) that are just large enough for the screws, mark wall through BB or FB so it's all level then drill a hole for a large wall plug. You could use hammer in fixings although that may be overkill

OP ianstevens 11 Oct 2021
In reply to NaCl:

So big drill, then screws with wall plugs?? (Aka I’m overthinking and it is in fact simple?)

NaCl 11 Oct 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

I'm no civil engineer and someone may come along saying something better but that's largely how mines up. It's up under an arch that is a load bearing wall in the house and was the devil to drill even with an SDS. I forget how many screws I used (6 springs to mind but it may have been 8) spread out across the backboard, about 70/80mm in length and it hasn't gone anywhere. Yet, at least but it's been 5 years ish. Big wallplugs and up it went. I'm about 11 3/4 stone incidentally.

There's many many ways to skin a cat but I'd personally be thinking that most of them would be overkill. Concrete screws or thunderbolts would defo hold it but it would be a bit hammer/walnut

Post edited at 21:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...