UKC

/ Home board matting

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
craig1983 - on 10 Jul 2018

I'm in the process of building a home bouldering wall and now looking at the options for matting. I could use my normal bouldering mats, but thought it would be good to permenantly mat the area. 

Does anyone have suggestions of where to get matting from?  I tried contacting core climbing, but they were wanting nearly £1k to mat an area 3m x 2.3m!

Lurking Dave - on 10 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

Are used mattresses not the go to option?

A Longleat Boulderer - on 10 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

The age old problem. For the last 12 years I've used old mattresses with bouldering mats over the high fall areas. Unless you want to pay mega bucks.

EDIT: remember though that mattresses don't really provide much protection. More about putting something between you and concrete.

Post edited at 11:10
Paul Crusher R - on 10 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

I recommend these on my wall builds... search Implay Mat on feebay..

Post edited at 12:53
john arran - on 10 Jul 2018
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> EDIT: remember though that mattresses don't really provide much protection. More about putting something between you and concrete.

In general, foam mattresses are great - two stacked are perfect for falls from our wall (about 4m). Sprung mattresses can be all but useless.

JIMBO on 10 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

Search the Internet for school gym mats... I got some 3m x 2m x foot thick ones for not much more than a bouldering pad.

stp - on 11 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

You could put a request out on freegle / freecycle for old foam mattresses. I had one knocking about for a while I wanted to give away for just such a purpose but couldn't find anyone to take it. It was no good for sleeping on anymore but it seemed like a lot of expensive heavy material to just chuck in the bin.

thommi - on 11 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

Ive got a variety of old rugs and carpet, layed on top of an old futon (not the wooden bit), which is layed on top of an old mattress. Works ok, and i fall on my backside quite a lot nowadays.

NOG - on 12 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

AV in Dundee are selling some of their old matting. Might be worth giving them a call - 01382201901

slab_happy on 12 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

Might be worth asking if anyone's got an old bouldering mat that's gone too squishy for safe outdoor use and that they're looking to dispose of -- mine went to a good home under someone's home wall.

Assuming your home wall is the usual short-but-steep type, old mats could be fine for cushioning short falls.

drolex - on 12 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

What happened to beer towels?

You can get a 4mm yoga mat at Decathlon for 6 quid. You'd need about 16 of them to cover your area... 

More seriously, you might be able to get old gym mats from local schools.

Otherwise, yes, new climbing mats are expensive - https://www.sporenco.com/tapis-et-matelas-de-chute-escalade/842-tapis-de-chute-escalade.html. I am also looking to build my home wall and I wonder if I will be able to afford difficult problems (although the holds for harder problems are less expensive)...

strudles - on 12 Jul 2018
In reply to craig1983:

Ask at climbing walls, often you see old matting stacked up in storage and they might want to let it go

otherwise I used beemats for my garage wall

https://www.newitts.com/beemat-crash-mats

they seem to be a bit more expensive than when I bought mine but maybe check for ebay (maybe also ask gymnastic centers for any old mats too)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.