/ Lead Fall gone wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tommyads on 30 Nov 2012
Went climbing this evening, tooks some falls. As you do.

One fall I remember really well. I remember falling and realising my right leg was wrapped up in the rope. I moved my leg mid fall to stop inverting and then hit the wall all on my left foot.

Not sure exactly but I landed on either a volume or a hold. It hurt a fair bit but nothing I haven't felt before. I nursed my foot for a second then finished the lead.

In fact I took another fall near the top of this route and a few later on. Then some falls off a traverse wall with no matting. I was fine.

Went home had some food and watched some tv went to bed and within 10 minutes my ankle was unbearable. This was a good 2 hours after the session.

For the past few hours i have been icing with peas (had to crawl to the freezer) and deciding if i should go to the emergency room or try to sleep it off.

I am posting here because i cant sleep because of the pain and want to kill time, and also want to know if this is normal?

Anyone else had a similar trauma that lies dormant until later? Im thinking the adreneline from the fall maybe had an affect? I dont normally get adreneline from indoor lead falls but seeing my leg wrapped up must have done something.
climber34neil - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads: something similar , I fell off a well known bouldering wall and landed awkwardly , got up and limped around then drove home, hopped around the kitchen for a bit untill I decided that maybe I should have it looked at just in case. Went to a and e and a doctor pressed the bottom of my foot which made my toes move forward and then drop!! He said "that's not supposed to happen!!) told me to walk to X-ray then come back and which time he said you have broken your foot, 7 weeks in plaster!!
deacondeacon - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads: yep go to the hospital first thing in the morning (or now if it's unbearable). I've broken bones in my foot and driven home before I realised and a mate did the same with a broken ankle. I imagine it happens a lot.
Hope it's nothing too serious
Jamie B - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads:

I took a tumble on North Glenshiel ridge one winter, and despite some initial pain was able to walk off the hill and two miles along the road without fuss. As soon as I got sat down in the car the thing started swelling and half-an-hour later I could hardly walk. So yes, there can definitely be a delayed reaction.

With that particular injury the ankle returned to normal in 48 hours. With other apparently more minor niggles it has taken weeks to heal, and I still have underlying issues in one ankle. The conclusion has to be that it's a complex joint and that recovery times are speculative.
Trangia on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads:

If it's no better this morning go to A&E to have it checked out.

I broke a toe a few years ago without realising it was broken and spent 5 agonising days climbing on it at Font. It wasn't till I got home and had it checked oiut that I found it was broken.
AlanLittle - on 30 Nov 2012
All of the above. I have on two occasions - both long ago when I was young and stupid - made my way home from the wall/crag with broken wrists that I didn't get diagnosed until a day or two later.
ElBarto - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads:
I'm guessing you've already gone but if you haven't you should and if possible get someone else to drive you. They seem to take it less seriously if you've managed to drive yourself in, even if you have broken something but doesn't show up clearly on the X-Ray.
Monk - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads:

It's not unusual. I once fell off a boulder problem at Burbage, and rolled my ankle over on a rock. It hurt, but I strapped it up a bit, did my shoe up tighter and carried on climbing for a while. I then drove home and made my dinner. It was only when I got up from the table that I realised that I just couldn't place any weight on my foot at all. It was absolute agony. I ended up going to A&E, where it was x-rayed. Not broken but a fairly bad sprain. Not much I could do but wait for it to heal and take ibuprofen.

However, it might be worth getting it checked out, as my girlfriend has done something similar and ended up in plaster for 6 weeks for a broken metatarsal.
bluesharper - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads:

I fell from near the top of my first sport 7a, my foot was caught in a jug hole and I still have a slow motion film in my head with the foot twisting violently one way and then the other. There was some pain immediately but I was able to walk the few hundred yards to the car and drive home. It was only in the evening that I was no longer able to walk. I was hopping around the house. I went to bed, got feverish and sweaty and had some difficulty with falling asleep because of the pain.
It took many weeks to recover fully. I could climb soon, but not run.

How are you now?

Tommyads on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads:
Wow lots of unexepected replys here, thanks.

Felt better when i woke up. Been hobbling around today and I can put a bit of weight on it now. I was thinking it must be fine because it wasnt instant agony but perhaps not. I will get it checked.

No swelling though? And getting better fast... Probably being a pansy!
Dino Dave - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Tommyads: About a year ago now I fell off on a lead outdoors. The rope picked my legs up and I fell horizontally whacking my right foot on a ledge in the process. I then completed the route and hobbled about for the rest of the evening. Later on that night it really started to hurt so I wrapped it up in a bag of frozen peas and headed off to bed. I then woke up early hours and by this point it was extremely painful - I couldn't stand up at all, let alone putting my weight on my right foot. But then it was OK the next day and it was back to normal within a few days.

But I'd say your right getting it checked. Better safe than sorry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.