UKC

Macebell Training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnO1978 06 May 2021

Does anyone on here do this or have tried it? I can see potential carryover to climbing given that it is allegedly good for shoulder mobility and grip amongst other things. 

Keen to give it a go just to mix up my general training a bit but interested to hear peoples own experiences/thoughts first.

Steve5543 06 May 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

I've not used a macebell but have used clubbells which are similar, for a long time. Scott Sonnon is a very good authority on them and a good source of info on exercises and technique. Most of the time I use the overly excitingly named "trial by fire" with 6kg clubs as a warm up before other weight training. It consists of the following:
100 Double Swipe
100/100 1H Mill
50/50 2H Hammer Swing

Takes about 14 minutes now.

Good for functional fitness, particularly shoulder mobility and some grip strength. I think fingerboarding has been more impactful for climbing directly for me. But I still use them most days for something. The off balance nature of the weighting is great for stabilizer muscles. 

OP JohnO1978 06 May 2021
In reply to Steve5543:

I was looking at clubbells some years ago but my young ego couldnt see the benefit of training with something so "light". Now I get it..!

I have seen a similar workout to that using a sledgehammer and it looks like something that could be beneficial in getting everything moving before going onto heavier resistance work as you utilise it for.

I have not climbed for about 6 months now due to a neck/shoulder injury so I am hoping I can get everything mobile and strong before I get back into it. I lost a lot of strength and had muscle atrophy but its slowly but surely coming back. I have gone from being able to do between 27-30 strict pull ups to being able to do about 7 now. I may well gradually re-introduce the finger board too. 

Thanks mate.

Steve5543 06 May 2021
In reply to JohnO1978:

I've got a couple of 10kg clubs as well and the difference in intensity is massive. Also the peril of letting go of them and doing some serious damage to the building. And I make sure the cat is locked out as i'm paranoid about tw*ting him them during a swing! 

I have some 4kg clubs as well for rehab/prehab work for tendons. Good bits of kits for variety in training.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...