UKC

no leg impact activity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 19 Jan 2018

Usually winter is the time I am the leanest. Winter climbing days are long and hard. I am always active and usually would commute running cycling everyday.

BUT I have knackered my left knee and will have to take active life very carefully over the next 8 weeks (partial tear of acl not needing surgery).

What activity would you recommend? I am a poor swimmer (although it could be an opportunity to learn it properly). I am seeing a physio, can walk unaided but at a very early stage of quad toning (weights aren't for just yet).

I am trying, and finding it hard, to curb my food intake. I am continuing with fingerboarding and will incrase to 2/3 sessions a week (but don't want to knacker fingers/elbows).

I am starting to feel a bit restless and sleeping less easily (now 3 weeks since injury).

All suggestions welcome... I may just decide to ignore the most outrageous!

Removed User 19 Jan 2018
In reply to French Erick:

Sympathy.

Mrs B was out of action with ACL trouble a few years ago (need surgery) and the only thing that really worked for her (once she was mobile again) was cycling. At least mountain biking would get you into the wilds a bit, provided you were sure you wouldn't have to get off and push/carry anywhere. You could get a turbo trainer and spin indoors, though get a subscription to Netflix as well because sitting on a bike indoors is extremely boring.

JayPee630 19 Jan 2018

Can you row? Or it that impact? Or cycling indoors on a trainer? An Airdyne bike is a killer.

I dunno, maybe be a bit zen about it. Work on your core, learn a language or a instrument, rest loads and come out of it mentally stronger and a better person?!

Post edited at 15:53
 Jon Greengrass 19 Jan 2018

Turbo trainer, clipless pedal on good leg side, no pedal on bad leg side.

chris bedford 19 Jan 2018

Try swimming - there are some really good YouTube videos about how to improve technique. I used to hate it but it was the first exercise I was allowed after a big operation last summer to fix a tendon in my foot/ankle. First thing in the morning before work, 3x a week, don't feel properly settled into the day unless I've done 40+ lengths. Now able to do other stuff (circuits/weights/indoor bike), but still do the swim as a gentle warm up for other things later. Really helps. And sleep much better after a swim than virtually any other exercise.

Mark Kemball 19 Jan 2018

If swimming (good exercise), it's probably best to avoid breaststroke as this can put a lot of lateral strain on the knees.

metrorat 19 Jan 2018

Since smithereening my ankle a few years ago I use the xtrainer in the gym for cardio, its very low impact and offers good control of heart rate.  Cycling should be ok too I would have thought as long as you keep the cadence high and avoid the bmx moves.

Dervey 19 Jan 2018

I ruptured my ACL 2.5 years ago and have been through surgeries/rehab since (only just running properly). I threw myself into rowing machine for cardio and squat/deadlift for strength (though I now see those aren't applicable for you just yet). I also found it useful to manage my diet by tracking calorie using the MyFitnessPal app.

Post edited at 18:26
 bouldery bits 19 Jan 2018

Get well soon !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...