UKC

Nutrition tracking app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 27 Mar 2021

Does anyone here use a nutrition tracking app to give them an idea of their calorie/carb/fat/protein intake and any recommendations if you do?

I've been off training for a while with an injury and slowly just getting back into it and having gone plant based in that time I'm struggling to manage my food intake, especially as I'm trying to put on weight and my partner is trying to lose weight which makes meal planning difficult sometimes.

Alkis 27 Mar 2021
In reply to rockwing:

I've been using NutraCheck. It's commercial but with reasonable subscriptions. I know loss of people that use MyFitnessPal but I found its recipe support to be subpar.

mike123 27 Mar 2021
In reply to rockwing: I have no an idea how to put on weight healthily , however I’m a world expert in the other way , just in case you needed help with that ?.

Edit : I recently tried out a few apps to track exactly what  I ate . What I wanted to be able to do was put in an item say , an apple ( ha ...ok...sack of Doritos ) and it would log it and then give me a total at the end of the day . All the one I tried  were rubbish . I ended up writing it on a black board with chalk ( really ) 

Post edited at 12:28
 jezb1 27 Mar 2021
In reply to rockwing:

I’ve used MyFitnessPal for a few years and have found it dead easy to use.

Paul Sagar 27 Mar 2021
In reply to rockwing:

I use NutraCheck and think it is really good value for money. I simply cannot lose weight unless I calorie count, because I deceive myself if don’t record what I’m eating. I’ve lost about 3.5kg since start of February using NutraCheck, about my fourth or fifth time using it to lose a targeted amount of weight. Always works. 

ian caton 27 Mar 2021
In reply to rockwing:

Virtuagym Food

Johnhi 27 Mar 2021
In reply to rockwing:

Would second NutraCheck, not free but much more useable than the crowd sourced mess of things like my fitness Pal etc.

girlymonkey 27 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Yes, I found similar. Even more so when trying to add home cooked meals. I have no idea how much of anything I add to the pot, and then to work out how much of that then ends on my plate. We tend to make a big dish which does several meals. Short of weighing and measuring everything, I couldn't just say I had 1 of my green bowls mostly full of my random veg and pasta mix! 

I wrote a food diary manually and it worked better for me.

Alkis 28 Mar 2021
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Similar for me. I used it a few years ago when my weight and eating had gotten wildly out of control (87kg and actually looking fat) and over 6 months I lost 17kg. The resulting reduction of stomach capacity stayed with me and even though I eventually got back to 80kg over a few years, my (visible) composition is miles better. 

Post edited at 00:20
 ianstevens 28 Mar 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Yes, I found similar. Even more so when trying to add home cooked meals. I have no idea how much of anything I add to the pot, and then to work out how much of that then ends on my plate. We tend to make a big dish which does several meals. Short of weighing and measuring everything, I couldn't just say I had 1 of my green bowls mostly full of my random veg and pasta mix! 

> I wrote a food diary manually and it worked better for me.

Weigh your ingredients then divide the volumes by eye - with a little practice it just becomes part of cooking.

In reply to rockwing:

I use 5:2 dieting when i need to shift a few kg, I only have to count calories on 2 days then, that is very easy as I have very similar food every low calorie day. Although I might also have other easy to remember rules for myself for a short while, no cake or crisps for a calander month.

I have a couple of friends who use nutracheck and highly recommend it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...