UKC

Recovery from hip replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exocet 16 Dec 2019

Am probably going to have one of these fairly soon and just wondering how long before I’ll be able to start climbing again. 

petemeads 16 Dec 2019
In reply to Exocet:

8 weeks

Deadeye 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Exocet:

Search on here - there was a big thread with really good info about ?April? time.

3 months I was told. I stuck it out and was religious about my physio and I think it was better to wait in the end.

Rigid Raider 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Exocet:

Not as serious as a hip replacement I know but last April I had a capsular release op to the shoulder (to free a frozen shoulder after a bike crash) and the consultant told me "your recovery is entirely up to you now". The shoulder joint is not a perfect ball and socket like a hip and although I'm no medic I suspect the supporting ligaments play as or more important a role in holding the ball into its shallow socket. So I set myself a routine of stretching three times a day, lying flat and allowing gravity to help me raise my arm. It hurt but I knew the pain was worthwhile so kept a positive attitude to it. I'm pleased to say that eight months later I have full ROM although still a little stiff and sore and clunky, but the surgeon told me all of that should be OK in about a year.

Good luck!  Paracetamol is your friend, an under-appreciated drug but very effective if you take 1gm every 6 hours and keep a record of times on a piece of paper.

Bob Kemp 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Exocet:

As Deadeye says there was a good thread recently- there’s a small sub-community of post-hip replacement people on here. The short answer is of course ‘It depends...’. One key factor is what state of fitness you’re in when your hip has been deteriorating over the years: if you’ve managed to sustain some decent muscular capabilities you’ll get back faster. 

HB1 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Exocet:

Hi

As Bob says look through the older threads on FHR here. My own experience was 6 and-a-bit weeks from surgery to climbing (wall - much longer before venturing outside, partly because of winter weather, partly because of worry!) Good luck!

Richard

In reply to HB1:

Recovery will be, in part, dependent on what kind of replacement you had. All have their own advantages and disadvantages. I had an Exeter total hip replacement. Recovery was slow (6 months) as I had a serious post operative infection, once that was sorted I was back to climbing in about 10 weeks. Your own body will tell you when it is ready to climb, but remember to listen to your head not your heart!

Groundhog 19 Dec 2019
In reply to Exocet

Do you know which type of prosthetic you're having?

I have had a Birmingham Hip Resurface (same as Andy Murray) for 9 years now and it has been brilliant. I usually forget I've got it.

I was back to almost normal activity in 5 months although I was out and about much sooner. Btw I had it done in Birmingham by the team that originally developed the procedure. All on the NHS. Didn't cost me a penny.

Good luck. 

OP Exocet 04 Jan 2020

Thanks everyone who replied to this. Still not sure what’s happening but hopefully seeing my consultant on Feb 4th will answer  some of the issues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...