UKC

Squash ball finger training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've decided to get the finger strength up a bit by using a squash ball to train crimping strength. I used to do this when I first started climbing and it helped a good bit then. Just wondering if anyone can forsee problems with it, before I cripple my hands.
The way I'm using it is by trying to keep the fingers straight as possible and pinching it between the fingers and the thumb.
Any suggestions?

Davie
esse_est_percipi 08 Nov 2005
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:
i had this idea when i started as well, lost patience with it after a while but would be interested to know if it could have some benefit
In reply to esse_est_percipi:

I know for sure it has benefit in terms of crimping ability, but am just concerned it might also be harmful in comparison to using a 'gripmaster' or whatever you call them. It's a lot cheaper for a start.

davie
 Sul 08 Nov 2005
> I've decided to get the finger strength up a bit by using a squash ball to train crimping strength. I used to do this when I first started climbing and it helped a good bit then. Just wondering if anyone can forsee problems with it, before I cripple my hands.
> The way I'm using it is by trying to keep the fingers straight as possible and pinching it between the fingers and the thumb.
> Any suggestions?
>
> sounds more like training for wan*ing!
> Davie

esse_est_percipi 08 Nov 2005
In reply to oldbut betterthanyoukids:
why bother training!
well i suppose its something you can do on the train etc etc..
In reply to oldbut betterthanyoukids:

> sounds more like training for wan*ing.

It's ok, I'm well practised at that.

Davie
 Dominion 08 Nov 2005

A tennis ball would be far more useful.
In reply to Dominion:

I only have squash ball experience to talk about in this area, so why would a tennis ball be better?

Davie
 Dominion 09 Nov 2005

Try squeezing a tennis ball. If you can't make your thumb and fingers meet through a squash ball you must be pretty weak...

Tennis balls are another ball game (ha, a pun!) altogether, and do your forearm muscles too...
In reply to Dominion:

It depends on the type of ball you're squishing. If you use blue dot (bouncy squash balls) they are easy. I've got a double yellow dot one on the go right now and it is tough to squish when it's cold and quite tiring if I hold the squish position for say 30 seconds at a time. I'm not a training beast btw (my level is V2/ British 6a) just trying to get slightly stronger fingers to improve.

Davie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...