UKC

Hardware Question: Ice Tool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 28 Jan 2022

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone knew what brand this was...

https://imgur.com/a/FvNk9Qf

The pick attachment looked unusual and it's bugging me that I don't know 🤣

Richard

Post edited at 22:57
 Marek 28 Jan 2022
In reply to Richard Carter:

Looks like an HB Tornado. I think I have a pair in the garage, but they've not been out to play for a while!

beardy mike 28 Jan 2022
In reply to Marek:

Yep HB for sure.

Jamie Hageman 29 Jan 2022

Aha, did you buy it?  I saw it on Ebay, and noticed the carbon shaft.  I was wondering what it was myself!

In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Yeah bought it - out of curiosity mainly 😋

HB Black Lightning apparently.

DaveHK 29 Jan 2022

Proper adze on that!

TobyA 29 Jan 2022

> HB Black Lightning apparently.

Oh yeah - I remember them, but pretty certain BD were making carbon shaft tools quite some time before that, Black Prophet I think was the model. I remember looking at them in catalogues in the mid 90s and lusting after them!

HeMa (Henrikki) of this parish, who I used to climb with in Finland, I think had HB tools back in the day!

Marek 29 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

> HeMa (Henrikki) of this parish, who I used to climb with in Finland, I think had HB tools back in the day!

The similar HB Tornados still are my current tools (for a given definition of 'current'), albeit modified with a pinkie-hook. Might not be the best today, but a world better than the home-made tools I used before them!

Post edited at 10:18
 HeMa 29 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, had the purple Tornados some eons ago.

and indeed the head is HB one.

btw. Sold to the a meen boulderer… nowadays they are used to pry of loose flakes and such for future boulders.

beardy mike 29 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

I remember visiting HB during my dissertation and seeing a prototype of the Lightening and also the Dyneema helmet - this would have been around 1999. Can't be many of those lightenings around as not long after Hugh Banner that an accident and times got tough for HB...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...