UKC

UIAA Ice Climbing world cup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 31 Jan 2023

Just watching the last round of the UIAA ice climbing world cup. Not much ice but well worth the view, especially if you haven't seen one before. Includes some amazing dynos.

https://www.youtube.com/live/It6fcy-E9Ro?feature=share

climber34neil 01 Feb 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Saas fee is always good, it's the highlight of the tour.

I did a write up of our season last year if you want a bit more info etc

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2022/02/the_uiaa_ice_climbing_european_and_...

OP Offwidth 01 Feb 2023
In reply to climber34neil:

Cheers.

I thought this would garner more interest here, given the technicality demonstrated in a very competitive sport, where bad luck can impact the best; and being free to view and with quite a few athletes training and competing alongside a day job. I'd not watched a competition at Saas Fee before and can see a significant difference in style with so many small rock holds.

Maybe it's because I have more nostalgia for such technical dry tool moves than most from dry tooling on our Uni brick climbing wall when it was due to close.

climber34neil 01 Feb 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Haha yeah maybe, it is growing in popularity,  the number of people at massonfest in October was testament to that, but it still is a bit niche (and perhaps all the better for it) either way from the comps point of view,  it's exciting to watch as lime you said the margin of error is very slim and often top competitors can fall low down, no guarantees with it.

ebdon 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for linking, drytooling comps isnt something I would normally be into but that was very entertaining, I think that someone had been watching too much vertical limit with those dynos!

Jordan-L 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I came across this when it was playing live on YouTube. I don't usually enjoy watching climbing or bouldering comps, but I got quite in to this. 

Found the female route to be more interesting, although wish the Dyno move would have been a bit higher up. 

The ice speed climbing was on a day or 2 before too. I didn't even know that was a thing. I didn't get in to that as much though. 

OP Offwidth 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Jordan-L:

>The ice speed climbing was on a day or 2 before too. I didn't even know that was a thing. I didn't get in to that as much though. 

I'd agree but I much preferred the ice speed comps to the indoor wall speed comps. My main concern was the current technique of the top men: I think side-hooking one edge of the ice blocks needs to be banned.

Jordan-L 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I thought that too when I was watched a couple of the climbs. Looked like it was cheating a bit. The wall looked like it was big cubes of ice stacked on top of each other and a lot of them were aiming for the corners and round the side, opposed to climbing the face, which made it look a bit easier. I suppose if it's not against the rules you'd do anything to gain a slight advantage. 

Holdtickler 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

You should watch the semis, that was quite the dyno on the mens! Flippin eck! https://www.youtube.com/live/m4TLctvPiCU?feature=share&t=3624

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...