Having successfully launched the Momentum shoe last year, there was no resting on their laurels for the Black Diamond design team. Responding to the demand for a step up from the entry level Momentum, they combined the award-winning Engineered Knit Technology upper with the last of the Shadow. The result? The Zone - a shoe offering comfort and breathability but more power and higher performance.
Black Diamond's Technical Shoe Designer Lim explains the range:
Zone Climbing Shoes (standard or low volume LV)
The Zone is a two-strap Velcro shoe built for sending at the gym or the crag. The Zone's upper consists of BD's Engineered Knit Technology, which provides stretch where you need it, support where it matters and all-round exceptional breathability—meaning you can go hard at the gym without worrying about your feet overheating. The shoe's last is downturned and based on a more aggressive shape, making the Zone adept at pulling hard on steep rock or plastic. The Zone's sticky Fuse rubber is molded—inspired by the way Black Diamond forge their carabiners—and not cut from one sheet of rubber. This is their engineered solution to optimizing the shoe's rubber and rand for consistency and comfort. The shoe's vamp area also has printed rubber for extra friction while toe-hooking, and the medium-flex midsole adds a balance of sensitivity and power.
– Engineered Knit Technology upper provides exceptional breathability and comfort
– 4.3mm Fuse rubber is printed and molded for superior grip
– Optimal consistency and performance
– Downturned last for steep pulling
– Minimalist midsole for extra sensitivity on steep terrain
– Two Velcro straps for fit adjustability— one designed extra-wide for locking in an aggressive fit
– A regular last for regular to higher-volume feet
– Available in regular/high volume and low/narrow volume
For hard training sessions, this is the Zone to be in.