Stu McAleese, British Mountain Guide and Plas y Brenin Instructor, is coordinating the weekend, here he gives us an update.
There are some places left and Stu gives us a taste of what to expect, including what's in the goody bag that each of the 100 or so climbers on the weekend will receive, and lists the BIG PRIZES for the Alpine Pub Quiz on Saturday night.
Almost A Sell Out
On checking the numbers for the UKC Alpine Festival yesterday there were limited places left for the whole event. Booking details below. It's been very exciting to see the festival filling up. With a great line up of Alpinists and British Mountain Guides combined with a broad range of workshops, the UKC Alpine Festival is simply just too good to miss. This will be a one off weekend experience, and there will be something to be gained by everyone.
What To Expect
On offer is a range of workshops, 16 in total. These workshops will discuss and practically highlight skills and considerations for Alpine climbing, mountaineering and trekking.
We have designed the programme to enable folk to attend as many workshops as possible. The intention is for people to tailer their own weekend by choosing which workshops they would like to see. The programme will be identical on Saturday and Sunday therefore enabling people to experience as much as possible. There is a list of the workshops at the UKC and Plas y Brenin websites. if you require further information please feel free to call us at Plas y Brenin on 01690 720214.
The aim is to have Plas y Brenin full of like minded alpinists so apart from the workshops it will be a great opportunity to make contacts and share experiences. Climbing equipment and clothing manufactures will be on hand for you to chat with, or to see the very latest gear used by climbers and alpinists out there at the moment. All in all, I know the Staff and Guides working on the event are really excited about this special weekend, an event like this is unique, it's gonna be great! I can't wait. See below to find out what's in the Goody Bag and the BIG PRIZES for the Alpine Pub Quiz on Saturday night.
Nick Colton - Guest Speaker
Nick Colton from the BMC will be there all weekend on hand to answer any of your questions about the BMC and related issues. Nick will be supporting some of the workshops and giving a lecture on his Alpine climbing on Saturday night. Nick is famous for his Alpine climbing and has an inspirational Alpine CV from around the world. Brian Hall, another famous alpinists and filmmaker will also be here.
Goody Bag Update
Everyone who goes on the Alpine Festival will get a goody bag. The goody bag itself is a Beal Folio Rope Bag kindly donated by Lyon Equipment and Beal. Yes that's for everyone who goes on the Alpine Festival.
A huge thank you to all at Lyon Equipment, The Mountain Boot Company, DMM, Plas y Brenin, Mountain Equipment, Anatom, Rockfax Guidebooks, the BMC and MC of S, Accapi, Nikwax and Joe Brown's for donating all this gear and offers.
SEE YOU THERE.
The Beal Folio Rope/Goody Bag with contents, worth over £120
- a Lyon Equipment Crampon Bag
- a Petzl Key Fob
- an Outdoor Research Ferrosi Cap
- a Deuter Chalkbag
- a Joe Brown's 15% off voucher
- a Rockfax North Wales Classic guidebook
- a Rockfax Pembroke guidebook
- BMC/MCof S Voucher for discount on all intsructional DVD's
- BMC Summit magazine
- an Accapi Bottle Photenizer
- 50 years of Plas y Brenin book
- Some Nikwax samples
- DMM Dragon Cam video
- various catalogues and stickers
Alpine Pub Quiz Prizes. Hey and you'll have to work to win these. VALUE: ~Over £1,800 of kit
- Petzl Crevasse Rescue Kit (view)
- Mountain Equipment Xero 550 sleeping bag (view)
- Grivel - Speedy Ice Screw (view)
- Years Free Membership to the BMC (view)
- Beal Rope (view)
- 2 DMM - Super Couloir Harnesses (view)
- Deuter Guide Lite 32 Rucksack (view)
- Scarpa Omega Boots (view)
- Outdoor Research Ferrosi Hoody (view)
- A years worth of Teko socks: expedition, trekking and midweight (view)
- 2 pairs of Superfeet RedHot Series (view)
- BCA Stash Pack (view)
- BCA Tour Shovel (view)
- 4 Rockfax Lofoten guidebooks (view)
- BMC Annual Alpine and Ski Insurance Policy (view)
- 6 Mountain Equipment T-shirts (view)
- Climbing Technology Nuptse Classic 12pt (courtesy of Joe Browns) (view)
- Climbing Technology Alpine Tour Axe (courtesy of Joe Browns) (view)
UKClimbing.com Alpine Festival 2010 at Plas y Brenin £130.00:
Arrive Friday evening 23rd April. Includes two nights accommodation at Plas y Brenin, all your food, world class coaching and tuition, and guest speakers on Saturday night.
However there is a non-residential option if you prefer to organise your own accommodation or live local. This option costs £110 and gets you all the workshops, evening meal on Saturday, lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and all the evening speakers and lectures.