UKClimbing, UKHillwalking and Rockfax Support Relaunched BMC Initiative
The British Mountaineering Council's (
BMC ) Access and Conservation Trust (
ACT ) funds projects to protect our cliffs and mountains. It aims to promote sustainable access to cliffs, mountains and open countryside by facilitating education and conservation projects across the United Kingdom and Ireland.
ACT is a charitable trust established by the in 2001 and has been relaunched for 2012.
UKClimbing, UKHillwalking and Rockfax are helping to promote the trust with advertising and coverage on UKC and UKH, as well as on the Rockfax website and in Rockfax printed guidebooks.
Alan James, UKC/H Director, commented:
"The ACT has been around doing some excellent work for years but for one reason and another has never really gained the profile it deserves in the outdoor community. This new relaunched body, under the direct auspices of the BMC, should change all that and enable climbers and hillwalkers to get behind it with our full support. Using the huge reach of UKC, UKH and Rockfax we hope to do all we can to bring the great work of the ACT to the attention of as many climbers and hillwalkers as possible."
You can donate to the ACT here: DONATE ONLINE
ACT aims to:
- Support rural access and conservation projects that protect access and promote sustainable use
- Educate and raise awareness of conservation issues
- Inform people about areas of ecological sensitivity
- Research the benefits and impacts of mountain recreation and tourism
- Train and support access and conservation volunteers
ACT will fund:
- Landscape Site Based Work
- Campaigns and Policy Development
- Rural Development Initiatives
- Sustainable Transport Initiatives
- Information Resources & Publications
- Training & Support for Access Volunteers
In this video BMC CEO Dave Turnbull gives us more details:
One of these prints was raffled off at the Kendal Mountain Festival last year, where Ron Fawcett picked out the winning ticket.
- You can buy a print here: BMC Shop.