We asked Kevin Howett from the Mountaineering Council of Scotland ( MCofS) to tell us why this competition is a little different.
Kevin gave us the following five point:
5 Main Points that make this different:
- - This is now an OPEN competition for any child across the UK and Ireland (or abroad)
- - The championship follows IFSC rules now to bring us in-line internationally
- - There are two championships in one – lead and speed
- - Younger kids top-rope, older kids lead in the Lead cat.
- - We wish to encourage children to take up speed climbing and so the Speed comp for younger kids will be held on a specially set speed route that suits their size. This means they can start speed climbing at an earlier age without getting demoralised – who knows they may be the speed champs of the future. The older kids compete on the international standard speed wall as usual.
- For more information and to enter, visit the MCofS Website