The BMC have released a new Lake District White Guide, a free booklet with advice on winter climbing in the Lake District following on from the North Wales White Guide.
The booklet is available to download for free.
The booklet includes:
- Topos for all sensitive crags in the Lakes, with clearly marked areas (showing where rare arctic alpine plants are located), which should be avoided unless turf is frozen solid
- A detailed insight into when and where to find good winter conditions in the Lakes, with information on the weather patterns needed to bring different crags and types of climbing into condition
- Details of the types of plant found on the crags of the Lake District and how they have become so rare
- Advice on how to look after turf and why it is important for both winter climbing and conservation
- An easy to understand map showing where crags and buttresses which have been agreed as ‘rock climbing only’ areas are located as well as details on how this came about
The guide will also be available shortly as a hard copy through the BMC shop or at Lake District shops, climbing walls and visitor centres.
More information and download link on the BMC website.