Location: Chippenham (but may be required to work at our Bristol sites).
We are hiring an Instructing Manager for our brand new purpose-built centre in Chippenham. If you are looking for a job in the climbing sector, this is an amazing opportunity to work for The Climbing Academy Group Ltd running instructing and coaching at The Arc, our Chippenham centre. Please read the following documents to find out more.
Maybe you'll already have some experience of running instructed and coached sessions in a climbing centre and want more of a challenge. Maybe you've been working in the outdoor industry and want to get into the indoor climbing industry? Whatever your background, if you think you stack up against our job description and criteria then get your application in.
Chippenham is a great place to live and an easy commute from Bristol, Bath, Swindon or the surrounding area. If you're not already based nearby, we'll help you move.
Please visit our website to read the full job description (and additional info), link below.
Role Specific Responsibility
- Ensure the development, monitoring, delivery and profitability of all TCA instructed/coached sessions at Chippenham. Create and manage a budget for this area of the business planning ahead strategically.
- Work closely with the Chief Instructor to develop, implement and review Instructional risk assessments, policies and procedures. You will take the role of Assistant Safeguarding Officer.
- You will ultimately take the role of NICAS/NIBAS Course Director at Chippenham.
- Provide clear and direct leadership through managing a team of instructors/coaches. Undertake training, moderations and appraisals. Demonstrate best practice by regularly instructing/coaching courses and groups.
- Use our database and work closely with booking staff and the marketing team to ensure TCA sessions are well promoted encouraging excellent customer service together with high staff performance and morale.
- Recruit and manage instructional/coaching staff in accordance to current legislation and the needs of the business.
- Ensure all sessions and instructional staff have legal and regulatory documents up to date and recorded. Continually monitor our compliance with laws and regulations staying abreast of current coaching methods within climbing and from other relevant sports and sources.
- To proactively foster and develop relationships with Schools, Youth Groups and other potential groups in the Chippenham area to regularly visit the centre.
- To provide regular updates with the Chief Instructor and Regional Operations Manager.
- Adhere to all Instructor responsibilities as detailed here and Senior Instructor responsibilities detailed here.
- To continually monitor the practices of the instructing team to ensure all are working to best practice and within the remit of their qualifications.
- The post holder is expected to undertake any other reasonable duties within their capabilities and the scope of the post as specified by the Chief Instructor.
- CWDI qualified
- 2-day first aid course
- 2+ years of instructing at roped walls and/or external settings
- Experience of leading a team
- Experience of working to a budget
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills written and verbal
- Experience of Sheets, Docs
- Foundation Coach qualified
- Development Coach trained
- Experience of NICAS and NIBAS
- Experience coaching a Youth Performance Squad
- Experience of working at an outdoor centre
- Leadership management or training/qualification
Salary: £24-27K depending on experience, plus bonus and benefits.
Bonus: up to 2.5% (dependent on the performance)
Moving: Relocation expenses considered up to £2,000
Hours: Full-time (150 hours per 4 week rota) evenings and weekend working will be required
Training: We will encourage and facilitate your development as a manager through off the job training and development
Holiday: 28 days per year
Benefits: Pension of 3% of salary, laptop, company phone, discounts on shop and cafe products, free climbing at all our centres
Reports to: Chief Instructor