I started climbing in 1965, moved to Sheffield to climb, took up teaching to climb more, and recently retired to climb even more. I wrote on a regularly basis for Climber, and then produced a few guides to climbing abroad. Twelve years back (time flies) I worked with Alan James on Peak Grit East, Western Grit and Northern Limestone - that shook the establishment. The Costa Blanca guide was well received, and then Eastern Grit was the first of the rewrites - with each edition we set a new standard!
Earlier in 2008 Northern England came into being, and right behind that (only 8 weeks later) appeared the superb Lofoten guide - which manage to scoop First Prize the Banff guidebook competition - so we are doing something right! Early 2012 saw Peak District Limestone hit the shops, it is going like hot-cakes. A Costa Blanca rewrite and a new Ariege guide also came out in the same year as Peak Limestone.
Now it is time for the third iteration of Eastern Gritstone - currently looking massive and magnificent - this really will be a winner.
Best Climbing Experience
50 Grit 'Extremes" in a day.
Great Wall (chalk free!)
Halfdome NW Face
Priest West Pillar - Lofoten
Mot Sola - Nissedal
1000 ticks on Stanage
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
Where are we going climbing next?
Latest Blog posts
Subscribe to this blog as a feed for RSS browsers
- Spring is in the Air 19-Feb-15
- Eastern Promise 04-Feb-15
- Cragging at La Clape - Off the Beaten Track 24-Jan-15
- Wanderings and Wonderings 16-Jan-15
- Peace and Quiet 02-Jan-15
- Happy Christmas and All the Best for 2015 17-Dec-14
- Home - Where's That Then? 08-Dec-14
- Winter is here - and so are We 29-Nov-14
- The Kaly Tally is on the Up 12-Nov-14
- Back and Forth 30-Oct-14
Articles by Chris Craggs
- New Routing on Kalymnos Feb/2011
- Lofoten Rock - Norway Apr/2009
- Sicily and Alpine Ice Guidebooks Mar/2009
- Winter - wow! Dec/2008
- Guidebooks Galore - Ideas For Climbing Trips Nov/2007
- Polarsirkelklatring (Arctic Circle Climbing) Sep/2007
- Rock+Run Rope Bucket Mar/2007
- Ground Up North Wales Rock Mar/2007
- Peñón de Ifach, Costa Blanca Dec/2006
- The Martinswand, France Jul/2006
- The Italian Jobs Jul/2006
- Mountain Walking and Scrambling Book Competition May/2006
- Arrampicare a Cala Gonone by Corrado Conca Mar/2006
- Winter Essentials DVD Nov/2005
- British Mountain Maps - The Lake District by the BMC and Harvey Nov/2005
- Day Walks in the Peak District Nov/2005
- Lake Annecy Crags Jul/2005
- Eastern Grit Jun/2005
- 100 Gritstone Classics - Reviewed Mar/2005
- Devil's Tower, Wyoming Jan/2005
- Portugal - Guidebook Review Nov/2004
- Jersey Climbs - Guidebook Review Nov/2004
- Easy Grit Mar/2003
Photo moderator, checking new photo submissions.
Moderator for 54 crags, checking missing climbs added to the logbooks: Sierra de Toix, Aventador, The Ghost Kitchen, Cave, Galatiani, Black Forest, Noufaro, Arhi, Sea Breeze, Summertime ... plus 44 more
Interests Outside Climbing
Being in the hills
About My Photography
Keen photographer, fanatical guidebook writer, still pretty keen on climbing too!
Click to list photo comments written by me. (133 comments)
I've voted for 622 photos, average vote 3.2.
(27% superb - 19% good - 18% average - 22% poor - 13% rubbish)