Andy Houseman is based in Darley, rural North Yorkshire. He works for the family haulage business Houseman International, doing everything from driving HGVs, coordinating transport logistics and answering the phone through to building fences and concreting barn floors.
On top of that he has made several Greater Ranges expeditions, from Alaska to the Himalaya, with varied success: from complete shut down on unclimbed Himalayan north faces to being nominated for the Piolet d'Or for a new route on Chang Himal back in 2010.
In the UKC interview video below we speak to Andy whilst he was on a quick trip to Chamonix from Darley to climb the Grandes Jorasses North Face. The video includes footage from an Alaskan epic on the Slovak Direct as well as from an attempt at the unclimbed 7000m peak of Link Sar in Pakistan with Jon Griffith - a mountain that the pair are returning to in 2015.
Andy shares some of his climbing adventures and speaks about being pinned down in a storm with Nick Bullock, not knowing if they would make it through.
VIDEO: Andy Houseman Profile
- SKILLS: Building Fast Belays When Multipitch Sport Climbing 9 Nov, 2016
- SKILLS: Abseil Knots Explained 2 Oct, 2016
- FEATURE: Colm Shannon's Deserted DWS Heaven - Irish West Coast 7 Aug, 2016
- SKILLS: Acclimatising for the European Alps 5 Jun, 2016
- Terra Unfirma! Adventures on the Lleyn Peninsula 1 Jun, 2016
- VIDEO: Fiesta De Los Biceps 8 May, 2016
- REVIEW: Evolv Shaman 2016 18 Mar, 2016
- REVIEW: Doug Scott - Up and About 2 Feb, 2016
- ARTICLE: 12 Climbing Adventures That Won't Break The Bank 26 Jan, 2016
- DESTINATION GUIDE: 10 Routes to Climb in Chamonix in Winter 20 Jan, 2016