UKC

2 man tent for bike touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john morrissey 16 May 2018

Can anyone recommend a good quality but fairly affordable 2 person tent for bike touring.  also interested if anyone is selling such a thing in good condition.  I had looked at the Vango Pulsar pro 200. but very open to suggestions.

Neil Williams 16 May 2018
In reply to john morrissey:

Vango Banshee if there are any still about?

In reply to Neil Williams:

Just googled it.  They look light but tiny.

Lukas_F 16 May 2018

Maybe not the lightest tent but I am selling a Vango Soul 200 (see my posts). Drop me a line if interested.

OliverR17 16 May 2018

I've had a Banshee 200 for a couple of years now, mainly for UK hill walking. They are quite cramped, but there is still some space knocking about: the gap between inner and outer on the one side is just about large enough for two 70 litre packs, and there's room at the head for more kit (usually boots or stoves, but maybe another 65 litres?).

Neil Williams 17 May 2018

> Just googled it.  They look light but tiny.

The 200 is quite small and practically is only one man plus kit (but then "one man for your rucksack[1]" is a fairly standard thing anyway), but the 300 is not a lot heavier and is quite wide so will easily take two plus kit.  It's quite low though, so you can't sit up in it.  Very, very quick to pitch though if you leave the inner and outer together.

[1] OK, panniers in this case

Post edited at 08:24

Why not look at the Wild Country Zephyros 2

youtube.com/watch?v=wneWeWySWl8&

I use the Zephyros 1 for single person bike trekking .

d_b 17 May 2018

I needed a budget 1-2 person tent recently and eventually settled on a vaude taurus.  They do a cheap version and a light weight fabric version.

It doesn't have masses of room with 2 inside but there is a reasonable porch space and it seems solid and easy to pitch.

Max factor 17 May 2018

What about wild country foehn or hoolie 2? 

The latter is a tunnel tent, so lots of space for the weight, however, I'm not so impressed with it's stability in strong winds, it gets fairly flappy, so if i was choosing again i would go for something with more internal structure.

800g difference for for the foehn vs, the zephros? is that a deal-breaker for touring?

spenser 17 May 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

The zip on my Zephyros 2 has given up, however I've had well in excess of 150 nights out in it I reckon so I don't feel too aggrieved, the rest of the tent is still in good nick.

In reply to spenser:

> The zip on my Zephyros 2 has given up, however I've had well in excess of 150 nights out in it I reckon so I don't feel too aggrieved, the rest of the tent is still in good nick.

Couldn't you repair it with a new zip ?

Either way you've had great use out of it .

d_b 17 May 2018

I had the outside zip go in my old macpac minaret.  Had it replaced by these guys:

https://www.attwoolls.co.uk/

They did a decent job and weren't too expensive.

Post edited at 13:13
Mumbler 04 Jun 2018

That and a thin tarp I had one, they're pretty hard wearing.

abr1966 04 Jun 2018

Glad you posted this as I was just about to......

I have a Vango Banshee 200 but want something more roomy for bike touring. Its not a bad little tent for carrying up the hill as its light but after riding during the day I want something I can sit up in and move around in.

Ive been thinking of the Vango Tempest 300 or Wild Country do a couple of tents....one is the Hoolie and I cant remember the name of the other but its a semi geodsic and has a good headroom height.

Edit....just checked and its the Wild Country Trisar.

Post edited at 17:53
 Jim Lancs 04 Jun 2018

The MSR Hubba Hubba are great tents for cycle touring. They do one with two doors and two porches which are perfect for two people. 

IPPurewater 04 Jun 2018

Have you had a look at the Alpkit tents ?

https://www.alpkit.com/featured/tents

Perhaps the Viso or Ordos.

Post edited at 19:46
 spenser 04 Jun 2018

Oh yes I can, just need to get a new zip and find the time to sew it on! My point was that it's a bloody good tent!

In reply to spenser:

We have bought a Vango Xenon UL2+.  Its brilliant.

blurty 16 Jun 2018

alpkit Ordos is good

Nick Wallis 17 Jun 2018

Decathlon Quickhiker Ultralight 2 - brilliant tents.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...