UKC

Bike Lights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supersteve 04 Feb 2022

As part of my warm up to BikingMan in June, I have entered at 24 hour MTB race - I have a set of basic front and rear lights I use for commuting in the dark; bright enough, USB charged, but they are cheap and have the odd temperamental moment. Anyone got suggestions on good quality lights which I can use for mountain biking at night, but also easily USB rechargable so I can use them for extended night periods in the summer? My lights were about £20, and as much as I would like something from Exposure, they are out of my price range, but I would be happy to pay up to £100 for the right front light. And then something reliable on the rear too. Looking on Wiggle as a start point, they have pages and pages of lights at different prices, so I don't know where to start....

ablackett 04 Feb 2022
In reply to supersteve:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0914MG1B6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_dl_VVHXEHBKPSGH...

I have that one had it for a couple of years, ride to work semi-regularly in winter.  It's been spot on.  I haven't used it in heavy rain, but it's bright.  I tend to charge it every couple of rides so can't comment on how long the light lasts.

The mount is a bit tricky to get tight, but if you put some grippy tape between the mount and the bars it doesn't slip.

Clearly at the lower end of the price range but I rate it.

JimR 04 Feb 2022
In reply to ablackett:

How about https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/bike-lights/light-sets/cateye-am...

Plus battery bank so when one runs out of charge put the other in your pocket and recharge.. when I did the Dunwich Dynamo I needed 3 lights as you only tend to get max 3 hours per charge, and less if on full power. I used to do local gravel tracks in dark on gravel bike found a cheaper light gave me a a couple of flutters when it ran out without warning on a fast down hill

jk25002 05 Feb 2022
In reply to supersteve:

I've been pretty happy with an Exposure Sirius MK9 on the front, but only got it in the autumn, so can't speak to it's longevity.

Seems well built, lots of different settings via a single button which at first seemed confusing, but now I quite like. Charges with a non-standard cable (usb at the charger end, something circular at the light end).

Previously had something by Lezyne, which plugged directly into usb sockets to charge, but front battery was only really good enough for commuting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...