UKC

Cycling trip.....UK late January.....where?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 11 Dec 2018

I've got a week's leave from work at the end of January and a couple of mates and I were thinking of a week somewhere. 

Plan:

Road cycling....not too hilly ideally although some are ok. Decent pub(s) and somewhere where its unlikely to be snowy

Suggestions so far are Suffolk or Rutland area. Ideally a small town/village but decent roads and country pub is the priority!

Any other suggestions?

In reply to abr1966:

Go to Majorca or Southern Spain. You'll probably be able to do it cheaper than a week in the UK and the roads and weather will be way nicer.

OP abr1966 11 Dec 2018
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Id love to but unfortunately one of my mates needs to stay in Uk and be available to shoot home at short notice if necessary!!

I've got a trip to Calpe planned for March!

JohnnyW 11 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

No help at all, but I am off to Mallorca on Thursday. Hurrah! Cycling where I live (Scotland) is grim in January, even more grimmerest than the rest of the UK. Good luck!

In reply to abr1966:

I've cycled around Woodbridge/Aldeburgh when working away. Quite good loops to be had and the pubs we've visited are decent. It's flatter than I like though as in really no elevation and with the hedgerows it can often feel samey and enclosed.

As a family we holiday in Cromer (in-laws have a place there). More open scenery and a bit more rolling hill-wise. Good roads and great link ups between the villages (spot a church tower/spire and ride to it). Can get windy which is where the openness of the fields can work against you. Roads are often deserted too. 

GrahamD 11 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Suffolk (and Norfolk) will be a lot kinder on the legs than Rutland !  Are you looking to stay at a pub or just visit pubs ?

OP abr1966 11 Dec 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> Suffolk (and Norfolk) will be a lot kinder on the legs than Rutland !  Are you looking to stay at a pub or just visit pubs ?

Visit!! Will be looking to book a cottage for accommodation. Is Rutland hilly....I don't think I've ever been? I am based in the Peak so ok'ish on hills but fitness levels between the 3 of us vary a fair bit and I'd prefer lumpy terrain than long slogs...

Open to any suggestions...

OP abr1966 11 Dec 2018
In reply to JohnnyW:

Enjoy the trip!

GrahamD 11 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Compared with the Peak Rutland isn't hilly but compared with Suffolk it is !

If in Suffolk the Low House at Laxfield is a must and I really like the Harbour inn at Southwold.

Jim Lancs 12 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

I did a ride that passed through Rutland and Leicestershire (?) towards the end of a very long day. In my mind I was expecting to be cruising towards the flatlands. But the lumpiness came as a very nasty shock.

nniff 12 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Cotswolds.  Lots of quiet roads, pubs, hills and not as exposed to North Easterlies as much as somewhere like Suffolk

Rip van Winkle 12 Dec 2018
In reply to nniff:

Cotswold are lumpy too but no really big/long climbs. But note - those idyllic villages are often deserted during the day weekdays, many don't have a shop, few have cafés though the small towns do, and the pubs might not be open during the day.

GrahamD 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Rip van Winkle:

I don't think I'd be heading for the West country if I wanted to minimise my chances of rain !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...