UKC

Evans Cycles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulW 14 Feb 2024

Anyone know if Evans Cycles are still trading? I think the administration period was going to end 7thFeb

Was going to buy a gift card but not sure if that is a good idea.

Swig 14 Feb 2024
In reply to PaulW:

Called them a couple of weeks ago about a part for my son's bike. It would explain why they haven't called me back!

Sam W 14 Feb 2024
In reply to PaulW:

I know they were in administration, but I thought (at least from a business point of view) that was all resolved when they were purchased by Sports Direct.

It's not the same company it used to be, but I'm not aware of any imminent plans to shut down operations.

TeeBee 14 Feb 2024
In reply to PaulW:

Buy 'em some Urbanrock vouchers instead.

OP PaulW 14 Feb 2024
In reply to TeeBee:

Ha, yes Urbanrock. Had fun working for them for a while, sad to see them go. Not many climbing shops left now.

Thanks everyone, will do some more research.

hang_about 14 Feb 2024
In reply to PaulW:

All gift cards are a bad idea - especially if they come with an expiry date. We have a natural aversion to giving cash, but the sums are the same (at the end of the day, it's written on the card) and the outcome of cash much safer. A quick Google suggests that Americans have $21billion (!) in unspent giftcards. 

Pedro50 14 Feb 2024
In reply to PaulW:

Many people have been burnt over the years with companies going bust and gift cards being rendered worthless, not to mention them date expiring and unable to be used. The advise is don't, cash is infinitely safer.

gethin_allen 14 Feb 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Exactly, cash, it's the universal gift card that very rarely expires or becomes worthless.

OP PaulW 14 Feb 2024
In reply to gethin_allen:

Don't disagree with you though I do have a bag of random currency from countries I will probably never ever return to.

i do think that a gift card for a particular interest such as cycling is a slightly more personal gift than cash, ideally suited to an adult who just buys what wants when he wants it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...