UKC

On One Huntsman - too heavy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi Bike folk,

I am, I'm afraid, not one of you!  I don't really know much about bikes and even less about mountain bikes.  However, Mrs. Swede would like a new hardtail for Christmas so I need some help.  Currently she rides a 15yr old Orange hardtail (a G3 I think).  She does trail centre reds and short trail rides locally (e.g. Blacka Moor, Stanage causeway, Burbage main track, Houndkirk, Lady Cannings etc) that sort of thing.

I'm currently looking at the On One Huntsman because it looks like its got lots of money off and its about the right price.  I'd ask the bike shop to add a dropper seat post to it too.  My only concern is that its a steel frame and I'm concerned that this will make it really heavy.  I can't see a weight anywhere online.  Does anyone have one?  Does anyone know how much they weigh and if this is going to be a problem?

Thanks for your help

In reply to Somerset swede basher:

The shop has got back to me now (15.3kg).  I'd still be interested to hear from anyone that has one to see how they find it.

Thanks

Si Witcher 20 Nov 2023

15.3kg is fairly heavy for a hardtail, I'd suggest, but it's all relative and does depend on what price point you're comparing with. My OnOne Whippet build is a 29er carbon hardtail frame and weighs about 11.5kg but that's a fairly top-end build. Steel frame in itself doesn't have to mean a heavy bike overall. A good steel frame with light wheels, light fork and top-end components can still be v. light. If you want to dig into the details, then check the weight of the fork, rims, hubs, cranks etc against other options.

In reply to Si Witcher:

Cheers, I've just taken a look and her current bike is 12.5kg so I think I'll be aiming as close to that as I can without breaking the bank.

sharpie530 20 Nov 2023

Some bargains on Wiggle at the moment.

gethin_allen 20 Nov 2023
In reply to sharpie530:

> Some bargains on Wiggle at the moment.

Just be sure you pay on a credit card in case things go south for them.  Also, if they do fold properly this could cause problems if you have any warranty issues in the statutory period as they should be dealt with by the retailer and even beyond this if you buy one of the many brands owned by wiggle/CRC.

Jon Greengrass 20 Nov 2023

The G3 has old school geometry and 26" wheels, any new bike is going to have bigger 27.5 or 29" wheels radically different geometry and very different ride feel. I still ride a bike with old-school geometry and borrowed a mates brand new bike for a ride and honestly it was like having to learn to ride again it was so different.

Get Mrs Swede booked in on demo day where she can try some bikes out, unless she's previously had the chance to try out a modern bikes she'll be in for a shock on something like that Huntsman.

15.3kg is an anchor my 25yr old FS bike weights not much more. At the price you're looking at, yes steel bikes will be heavy, you'll get lighter weight at that price with an aluminium alloy frame.

In reply to Sharpie 530 and gethin_allen:

I did look at wiggle but was concerned about whether it would actually arrive or not given their current financial situation.

In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Thanks, sound advice.  I've just seen I can get the Scandal at the same price and that's 13kg so should be at least a similar weight even if its a very different ride.

cragtyke 20 Nov 2023

Have a look at cycleworks at Penistone, some good offers on at the moment. Just got myself a new Kona.

Pids 20 Nov 2023

I moved from a steel 26 inch 20 year old genesis hardtail to the 29inch huntsman a month ago - completely different ride, instead of lining up and lifting the front wheel I now just roll - and the new geometry / different gearing / wheel size meant that going uphill wasnt as much of a pain as previously

The new bike feels like riding a penny farthing, taking a bit of getting used to so I havent noticed the weight issue, the ride style has def changed though

I didnt get a dropper as have never ridden with one, I am advised by everyone else that this was a mistake though

Whatever your wife ends up will be the best bike bike for her, hope she enjoys it

In reply to Pids:

Thanks - I'm definitely going to put a dropper on whatever I end up getting.

TobyA 20 Nov 2023

> and short trail rides locally (e.g. Blacka Moor, Stanage causeway, Burbage main track, Houndkirk, Lady Cannings etc) that sort of thing.

If that's local to you, I would drop down in Hathersage and go and see the Sonder range in Alpkit. They've got a pure XC model now that I suspect is reasonably light, then their more slack and 'rowdy' models which are probably a bit heavier. You can do day demo hires from the shop too to see if they feel right.

I don't know how bit a thing it is still but there are definitely some bike built specifically for women with slightly different geometry. Don't know anything about the bikes, but in Sheffield there is the Giant/Liv shop just down from JE James. Liv is the women specific brand so might be worth at lest a look?

The Potato 21 Nov 2023

Nothing wrong with wiggle, they are still posting things no issue.

Yes the huntsman is heavy for a do it all hardtail, ive got a Stanton Sherpa steel HT which is 14.5 and I wouldn't want anything heavier

Post edited at 14:33
 Alun 22 Nov 2023

15kg is a bit lardy but steel frames are always going to be heavier (my steel hardtail is heavier than my carbon-fibre enduro bike!). Personally I don't mind the weight though as I like the feel of a burly steel frame that will shrug off anything that you throw at it.

I would point out though that 15+kg is almost certainly not all the fault of the steel frame - to get that heavy it would need to have heavy forks and wheels too. It's perfectly possible to spec a steel hardtail at way lighter (though probably more expensive too).

More than the weight, the biggest difference that Mrs Swede (or anybody) would notice would be the jump to modern geometry and 29" wheels. A Huntsman (or any similar bike) rides so completely differently to a 15yo 26" bike that it might be disconcerting at first: the combination of (much) larger wheels, a slacker head angle, and longer frame makes for a very different ride.

So the idea of a test ride somewhere first is not a bad one.

iani 22 Nov 2023

An Orange G3 and Huntsman are very different animals - The G3 is 26" wheel and I think 100mm forks. The Huntsman is 29" wheels and 130mm forks, which would be the equivalent in duty to 26" wheel with 150mm forks say.  (for equivalent riding you can swop increase in wheel diameter for reduction in fork travel). 

15 kg is quite heavy for an mtb - weigh the G3 and try not to replace it with anything heavier

Definitely go for a test ride of the wheel diameter / frame size you are looking at. Unless Mrs Swede is reasonably tall she may not like 29" - Stand over height tends to go up with wheel diameter - going for 27.5" wheels and 100 / 120mm fork travel would probably be better unless Mrs Swede is looking to head off on gnarlier trails - this will give a lighter bike weight / £ spent - and 27.5" wheels are a bit lighter and a bit easier to get going than 29". Wheels on lower cost bikes are always relatively heavy.

S Ramsay 22 Nov 2023

Seems like a good deal, 13.7kg (claimed) in medium

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/ive-awarded-the-vitus-nucleus-a-perfect-10-ratin...

Post edited at 09:38
In reply to all:

Thank everyone.  This has been really useful.  I think I'm sorted now.

Pids 15 Dec 2023

What did you go for in the end?

In reply to Pids:

On One Scandal

Philb1950 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Si Witcher:

From experience the easiest and best payback to lighten a Planet X bike is invariably to upgrade the wheel set. Bang for bucks is usually really good with Planet X. I have an On One Coedine that is just about the same weight but half the price of my son in laws Orange and it’s better specked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...